Good multiband compressor?

Daybreak

Jan 8, 2013
Yes, I know Google exists, but there's a whole jungle of plugins out there and I quite frankly doesn't know up from down. So, to get to the point;

I've been feeling a long time that a multiband compressor would be a good investment. I'm running Pro Tools with mostly stock plugins as of now and there aren't any multiband compressor. So I'm asking you guys: What do you use? Could you recommend one? Prefereably some sort of motivation as to WHY specifically that one is good would be welcome - In the world of compressors I'm not that sure what exactly makes a compressor good and what makes it bad.

Oh, and I'm kind of broke at the moment, so if it's cheap AND good, that would be great.

Thanks in advance!

If you could point me to where you can buy C4 for 17 bucks, that would be great, haha.

Waves had a flash sale with a $50/off coupon. If you're patient, you can get it for cheap though as they do promos every month.
I like the one in Alloy too which brings alot more to the table overall.

For multiband processing, if your goal is to have it sound anything like the original audio but more balanced there's pretty much only the UAD Precision Multiband. Everything else is just kind of ... worse :Smug:

This sounds interesting, could you please give a few tips on how to do this?

Part 1: Splitting the Signal

In your Pro Tools session, create 3 stereo aux inputs. Each of these aux inputs should be fed by the same stereo bus. The number of auxes will correspond to the number of bands of our multi-band compressor. The outputs of each aux should be set to your main outputs.

Set the outputs of the tracks you wish to route to your multi-band compressor to the same bus assignment which is feeding your aux inputs. We now have three identical copies of the same signal.

Part 2: Setting up the Crossover Network

Instantiate the “EQ 3 – 7 Band” plug-in on each of the aux inputs. Use the low cut and high cut filters to designate the frequency range of each aux. Use a 24 dB / octave roll-off for your filters. Good starting points for the crossovers are 125 Hz and 4000 Hz. We now have the signal split into three distinct frequency ranges: lows, mids and highs.

Part 3: Setting Up the Compressors

Instantiate an instance of the “Dyn 3 Compressor/Limiter” on each of the three frequency band auxes. We now have a separate compressor acting of each of the frequency ranges.

Part 4: Adjusting the Settings

Keep in mind, low and mid frequencies will generally respond more favorably to compression than high frequencies. By adjusting the output gains of the various bands, you can adjust the spectral balance of the signal. You may need to instantiate an EQ to correct for frequency buildup around the crossover points.

C4 is a pretty solid one as the members told you above, you can also try Fabfilter Saturn though.

Its primary purpose it's to Saturate the signal rathen than compressing it but it has a built in compressor too which is pretty solid.

Give it a try its worth it

For multiband processing, if your goal is to have it sound anything like the original audio but more balanced there's pretty much only the UAD Precision Multiband. Everything else is just kind of ... worse :Smug:

the big latency is so annoying that i don´t use it anymore.