Sub-drops live ?

xFkx

gain induction
Mar 3, 2008
Poland
www.myspace.com
Hey

I'm tinkering with throwing sub-drops into our live set, we've got the hardware already, pads, sampler, whatnot..

My question is, is it safe to use live ? I don't want to blow the PA by mistake, but on the other hand cutting too much of the sub-low from the drop sample will kill the effect. Anyone has experience with this ?

Ideally, I'd think you'd wanna go more for the compressor pumping effect, rather than the super low effect - that would depend on the house using a compressor on their master bus, though...

Yeah, that would be perfect, although comps on the sum are not really common in smaller clubs, especialy in poland ;)

I just guess the PA amplifiers have some in-built limiters that would help

Buy a limiter, get the sample at the right level during sound check and set this as the max volume to allow on the limiter, that way you wouldn't have to worry about what gear the venue has.

Provided the FOH guy is cool with you sticking something in his signal chain, though; I can imagine some of them would be territorial dicks about that...

Provided the FOH guy is cool with you sticking something in his signal chain, though; I can imagine some of them would be territorial dicks about that...

That, and somehow i feel that's just going a bit too far in terms of taking over someone else's duties (financialy mainly).

Well I use a limiter live, mainly for my in-ear monitors. I don't want some dickhead blowing the fuckin' ears off me by pushing the wrong fader too high! :rolleyes:

Here's a cheap one I found on Thomann: http://www.thomann.de/ie/the_box_pro_tpc25.htm

Haha, he'll be back, but this bunny costume thing just cracked up so much I had to give it the spotlight for a bit :lol: