Bass in Thrash

Jake The Snake

Funk Bass-er
Nov 17, 2008
Okay, so a lot of people think bass in most metal is fairly simple, and I agree. My question is, for all you guitarists out there, is do you prefer basslines that stay on the root the entire song, lines that mainly follow the guitar, or lines that do their own thing?

bass was made for counterpoint. john myung is a good example. as is the beloved clifford burton. steve harris is another one. i always loved how he would change the guitar riffs by moving the root notes around.

Bass doesnt always have to do its own thing or that can just make a big mess of sound. Its nice to have little bass fills now and again, but generally its nice for it to follow the song so you get a nice full sound.

The bass is a rythm instument, there a lot of bassist that think they are guitarrists and mimick whatever the guitar does, the bass and the drums are what makes the whole band sound heavy in my opinion. A good drummer with a bass player following his beat closely, thats what I like.

My opinion may be biased (I'm big on primus, and I play bass) but the songs that always stand out to me are the ones where evey instrument shines a little bit. Take Orion for example. One of my favorites, it's got sick riffs all around. I understand the need to keep close to the drums sometimes, and keep close to guitar, but I like to have a little fun too. Just every now and then.