Bass Mixing "Tricks"? D:

I've seen loads of different setup ideas for a modern tone, but does anyone have any ideas on how to get that older style tone, say DIO's Holy Diver album or maybe the track Welcome Home by King Diamond??

I don'nt know why but i've been going over old songs like that, old seputura (arise and before hand) and stuff like Holy Diver (album) and i'm amazed by how clear the drum sounds are... i know alot of it it technique (igor's snare work)

I know after listening to the interview with DIO on the Holy Diver special edition, they boxed in the drummer with plywood boards and had his back to the control room window, to help get a "huge" sound...

This is what i do.
a well recorded amp, and a well recorded DI

bus those to an aux, add Q10 (for correcting freq), Ampeg SVX (for coloring sound to taste), Fairchild comp (yeah!), and RVox (in your face effect)

that's one of my quick chains i use to get decent results on demos and stuff...more professional work require different approach for each song

I don'nt know why but i've been going over old songs like that, old seputura (arise and before hand) and stuff like Holy Diver (album) and i'm amazed by how clear the drum sounds are... i know alot of it it technique (igor's snare work)

I know after listening to the interview with DIO on the Holy Diver special edition, they boxed in the drummer with plywood boards and had his back to the control room window, to help get a "huge" sound...

weren't we talkin bout bass here?

yeah sorry dude, i got side tracked...

i know a lot of people here split the channel into the D.I. , an ampsip, and probably some sort of drive/distortion like the X-35 or the NoAmp

i'm just wondering if anyone here has any accounts as to how bass used to be tracked back in the day...??

Try chaining two comp/limiters with different attack settings. One with a slower attack to let the punch through, and one with a very quick attack to even out the overall dynamics.

As far as 'tricks' go, try high-passing the bass at 90hz with a 3rd order filter, and then peak boosting around 60 to 66Hz to compensate. See if that works for you.

I rarely use saturation on the overall bass signal. I find with the amount of limiting and compression I do, it already sounds fairly saturated, especially with the amount of coloration 1176s add.