bass pickups

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hi!

so, i have a yamaha rbx 375 5 string. it plays really well, but i'm not that convinced with the sound.....even with brand new strings (elixir), it's somewhat dull. also, the active EQ doesn't seem to do much, mainly the treble one just adds noise. i haven't replaced the battery yet, maybe it's going down...

another point is that i'm playing finger style, and when playing harder it occasionally happens that the strings (esp the low B) hit the pickup, resulting in a nasty noise....the rbx doesn't have any pickup covers, so i guess that's the problem.

anyways, i was thinking about replacement pickups, but i'm a newb as far as bass pu's go. with guitars it's pretty much standard sized, so you don't have to worry about the pickups fitting in. is it the same with bass pu's?
also, do i have to use active replacements, or can i also use passives?
lastly, any recommendations as far as brands/models? i'm looking for that basic metal sound you all know....fat lowend, punchy mids, shining highs for clarity.

btw, the rbx has 2 humbuckers....see here:

850599_800.jpg

thanks

any specific recommendations?

would you even recommend swapping the stock pu's for different, e.g. bartonili ones?