Yamaha RBX 375

Nuno Filipe

You talkin' to me?
Jul 1, 2009
Portugal
Hey! I bought some time ago a Yamaha RBX 375, But I just began to record with him a couple days ago and I gotta say that this bass is fucking disgusting in the midrange, is honky as hell. Really, really hard to get a good sound. Or is too boomy or honky as fuck! I already did mess with the all knobs, and nothing. Ok the strings are really old and of course this affects the sound but I doubt that the shitty sound is justified just by the old strings. It´s a headache to mix the bass, I have to do big cuts in the mids and boost some highs, but the definition still sucks hard balls. Or it´s the bass or it´s my bad skills in mixing the bass. I think I can get a better sound with a harley benton bass!lol

Any of you guys have this problem with this bass?

Send some dry tracks...

I've got a Yamaha RBX 374 but it's my first bass guitar, so it is hard to mix it well, anyway I don't really have any reference to compare to...

What are you playing it into? Get some new strings and see the difference.

The bass on that is an RBX375

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one too and yeah it tends to need serious EQ. I think it's the Yamaha pickups/electronics. It's Alder so it really shouldn't be so tubby. If you do decide on a pickup/electronics swap I would appreciate some advice. Shame as it is a really nice player and solid quality.

You'd be surprised how much of it is down to bad strings. Also, don't be afraid to get radical with EQ on bass, unless it sounds great before processing which is rarely the case if you're not dealing with a vintage Music Man through an Ampeg for example.

I said it and I'll say it again, the RBX 374/5 from Yamaha is one of the most horrible sounding bass guitars ever to be seen on the face of this earth... Not to mention the playability. They really fucked up bad on that one.
I have the discontinued RBX 775 and it's worlds apart, although they may look somewhat similar.

I have to do big cuts in the mids and boost some highs, but the definition still sucks hard balls.

the strings are really old and of course this affects the sound

In all seriousness you've answered your own question man. Old strings cause a massive reduction in high end, loss of clarity. You CANNOT get this back even with the most extreme eq. You just end up trying to boost treble that isn't there. This results in a massive upper mid bump that can sound
honky as hell
and you'll find that
the definition still sucks hard balls

Get some new strings and try again.

Send some dry tracks...

I've got a Yamaha RBX 374 but it's my first bass guitar, so it is hard to mix it well, anyway I don't really have any reference to compare to...

I dont want to hear the dry tracks!lol I have some references and that´s why I say that the sounds sucks

What are you playing it into? Get some new strings and see the difference.

The bass on that is an RBX375

For metal stuff with a slight distortion, it does the job. But for clean stuff it´s not the better. I gonna buy new strings.

I have one too and yeah it tends to need serious EQ. I think it's the Yamaha pickups/electronics. It's Alder so it really shouldn't be so tubby. If you do decide on a pickup/electronics swap I would appreciate some advice. Shame as it is a really nice player and solid quality.

Yeah really serious eq!lol I hear say that the bartolinins pickups are really good for basses but they are not cheap.

You'd be surprised how much of it is down to bad strings. Also, don't be afraid to get radical with EQ on bass, unless it sounds great before processing which is rarely the case if you're not dealing with a vintage Music Man through an Ampeg for example.

Yeah I have to buy new strings soon and record again but I think if we have to do really big cuts here and there, it´s because something its not right.

I said it and I'll say it again, the RBX 374/5 from Yamaha is one of the most horrible sounding bass guitars ever to be seen on the face of this earth... Not to mention the playability. They really fucked up bad on that one.
I have the discontinued RBX 775 and it's worlds apart, although they may look somewhat similar.

As I said before I have to buy new strings to hear the difference but till now I find his sound a big shit!lol As for the playability it´s not bad at all but I am not a bass player.

In all seriousness you've answered your own question man. Old strings cause a massive reduction in high end, loss of clarity. You CANNOT get this back even with the most extreme eq. You just end up trying to boost treble that isn't there. This results in a massive upper mid bump that can sound and you'll find that

Get some new strings and try again.

I really hope that you are completely right. I do not want to be presumptuous because in this matter, certainly you have much more experience than me but I think that the pickups and the kind of wood in the bass gives also this shitty midrange. I said this because I have a harley benton also with really old strings and isnt so honky. But I can be wrong with my thoughts. I gonna buy new strings to clarify this.

A friend of mine installed EMG DC 40's into it. It rocks man.
Maybe you need a PUP change.

Thanks! I have to take a look.

A friend of mine installed EMG DC 40's into it. It rocks man.
Maybe you need a PUP change.

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea :)

Nuno do tell us how it pans out with new strings for ya. I've had problems with the bass even when distorted, I'm pretty sre it is the pickups, and I like the way the bass plays too but I'm a guitar player :loco:

Thanks! I have to take a look.

Hmm...that's a pretty good idea :)

Nuno do tell us how it pans out with new strings for ya. I've had problems with the bass even when distorted, I'm pretty sre it is the pickups, and I like the way the bass plays too but I'm a guitar player :loco:

Don't forget them Steel Strings ;) Best of luck! :)

And I 'believe' the stock pups on the RBX aren't active. Only the electronics are.