installing emg bass pickups, need help

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
hey guys,

i'm trying to install some 6 string emg pickups in my bass players peavey grind.
i replaced all the pots, input jack, and obviously the pickups, but i'm getting very low output out of it. like -30dbfs input when my own yamaha rbx reaches around -5dbfs with the same input gain settings.
i double (triple...)checked all the connections (these are the solderless pu's btw), tried different batteries, no result.

signal chain is pickup -> tone pot -> volume pot -> the emg connector thingy -> output. i tried connecting it directly from the pickup to the emg thing -> output, same output level.
any ideas?

Are the pots all 25kohms?

The only other thing I can think of is pickup height, are they close to the strings?

Sorry I couldn't be more help dude.

could it be because of a bad connection at the pickup selector section of the solderless chip?
i don't have a PU switch, and emg says you have to connect the bridge pin to 0 and the neck pin to 0. maybe there's a bad connection? could that even be the culprit?

if the volume pots dont work id say it is definitely an issue there, you sure they are 25k for actives or 500k? did you replace the pots with the ones that came with the emg's?

FYI when i first got my emg-x set with the solder less system, pots were fucked and needed replacing.

just like shown in the instructions, negative to output jack, positive to the red bus.
i'm handing it over to a tech.....very curious to find out what's wrong with it.