Bass Players / Seventh Wonder

FatesFan

Dec 18, 2004
As a Drummer with no formal music training, I have never had a real appreciation for the duties of the bass player. As a young lad in the 80’s I would even hear bass players say that they were just frustrated guitar players. (Couldn’t hack it on 6 strings so maybe 4 is easier)

Well, on the first U.S. tour for Mr. Yngwie Malmsteen, he had a band called tallas opening up that had Billy Sheehan in it. I had no idea the bass could be played like that. My idea of the bass was changing. Obviously you then had your Geddy Lees and John Myungs of the world. Needless to say, my idea of a bass player has come a long way since the 80’s.

Even though my idea of the bass player has changed over the years, there are few bands I listen to where the bass player is a huge standout. There is a band for me in which the bass guitar is a huge part of the sound. That band is Seventh Wonder. The bass playing on Mercy Falls is second to none. It comes at you from every angle. It’s intricate but not just noodling. It has real emotion and takes you on a journey. The subtleties are just as important as the intricacies. I find myself focusing on the bass lines as never before when spinning this album. GREAT Bassist!

Andreas is an awesome bass player, and your right his style is very emotional and intricate, to me he is one of the best there is.

I really enjoy the bass playing in Circus Maximus as well, but overall I agree with you. Typically it's just not remarkable in any way, shape, or form. However, it's amazing what happens to the song when you remove it from the mix. In a genre of music where there is so much going on with drums, vocals, and guitars, I guess something's gotta hold everything down!

The last offering was great as well. I know there are a ton of Seventh Wonder threads but I wanted to start a new one that was really about the bass player. His playing on this new one is just amazing.

Love these guys. Also... that is one thing that I really like about some of the 70s prog bands..... they utilize EVERY instrument in the mix, especially bass. I played bass for a few years, before picking up the guitar... and I did not appreciate its impact in the musical scheme. I do now. :)

I must admit I haven't really listened to the bass player in SW. I usually do (especially when it's intricate stuff by Chris Squire, Paul McCartney, John Myung, and other super-star bassists). But when it comes to Seventh Wonder, I get so caught up in the soaring vocals and the stirring arrangements that I forget to listen to individual players.

Now I want to listen to Seventh Wonder (especially their latest CD) again, only this time just listening to the bass player.

Good thread.

Bill

Yeah, you really should do that man!

That's how I first heard of them actually. I kept noticing reviews that highlighted the bass player -and in a prog metal band?!?!

That's what I checked out and albeit their first album is like a teen-demo, the bass work is still extraordinary and also 100% audible throughout. I believe Waiting In The WIngs holds some of the best bass playing in the world.

The new album Mercy Falls is definitely better as a whole, but as a bass album WITW is absolutely top notch.

He (Andreas) is getting top scores everuwhere and in my mind he combines the nice melodies/riffs/whatever that Tom Miller in SyX had, but with the razor sharp precision of John Myung. Simply nothing like it! :worship: