Bass playing is impossible

Scavengerofsorrow98

New Metal Member
Mar 24, 2003
Visit site
hey, i am trying to learn Spirit Crusher currently and i am stuggling pretty bad, the first two parts are pretty easy but when the speed picks up i just suck. I figured two years of playing should give me some solid speed but it has given me none. I am going crazy here.

Scavengerofsorrow98 said:
hey, i am trying to learn Spirit Crusher currently and i am stuggling pretty bad, the first two parts are pretty easy but when the speed picks up i just suck. I figured two years of playing should give me some solid speed but it has given me none. I am going crazy here.

Hmm, do you play 3-fingers style?? It helps a lot in that sorta songs...

On those ultra-fast-speed guitar-picking parts, you may follow the guitars with some 3-fingered picinkg, it works very well! At least to me... (try 3-2-1-3-2-1 or 3-2-1-2-3-2-1)

I play for 3 years now, and I can play songs like Spirit Crusher, Lack of Comprehension, Symbolic, pretty well, I just do not try to follow ALL the guitar notes, just try to make a solid base with the drums, with that 3-fingers picking...

Good luck!

Ha! Are you a four stringa??? If so you'll find that there's missing one string when it comes to that little bass solo, with the same pattern of the beggining, like this:

Code:
5 Stringa go like this (or not?):
|------------------------------6--------------5-----------|
|--------9--10--------------8-----8--------7-----7-----7--|
|-----7---------8--------6-----------6--5-----------5-----|
|--5---------------6--------------------------------------|
|---------------------------------------------------------|

Then you get your 4 stringa and tap it up:
|--------9--10--------------8--13--8--------7--12--7-----7--|
|-----7---------8--------6------------6--5------------5-----|
|--5---------------6----------------------------------------|
|-----------------------------------------------------------|
								T			   T

It sounds good, but I don't know if it's right.

Shit, the tab is messed up. Just tap over (13) and (12) in the tab.

And about speed... HMmmmmmmmmm... Are you used to play with a pick? ehehehe. It's a last resort if you can't match the speed. But if you insist in the finger picking, do what Israel told ya, don't try to follow the guitar.

A good example how to do this is downloading the Hammer Smashed Face's GuitarPro tab, then look in the bass line and see that Webster (or at least the tabber) don't keep fucking fast speed, he just "keep the beat" if you know what I mean.

That 5 string tab you posted uses a high C. Most 5 string basses have a low B as the 5th string, as most bass string sets are sold that way. The high C usually comes in a 6 string set.

a small question, while we're on the topic of high Cs.... I own a 5 string with a low B, if I bought a six string set and stringed it E A D G C, would it still work, or would I need to get a new nut?

It should work. And if you're lucky, and not so picky on strings, you might be able to find a company that sells a 5 string set with the High C as opposed to Low B. It's not very common, but you may be able to save yourself some money.

Higon said:
Shit, the tab is messed up. Just tap over (13) and (12) in the tab.

And about speed... HMmmmmmmmmm... Are you used to play with a pick? ehehehe. It's a last resort if you can't match the speed. But if you insist in the finger picking, do what Israel told ya, don't try to follow the guitar.

A good example how to do this is downloading the Hammer Smashed Face's GuitarPro tab, then look in the bass line and see that Webster (or at least the tabber) don't keep fucking fast speed, he just "keep the beat" if you know what I mean.

Couldn't you just write it down 1 string instead?

In the live stuff I'm pretty sure that Alex plays full speed, but I could be wrong. It really looks that way though.

Unregistered said:
a small question, while we're on the topic of high Cs.... I own a 5 string with a low B, if I bought a six string set and stringed it E A D G C, would it still work, or would I need to get a new nut?
This is essentially the way Steve D. tunes his 5 strings, then he drops the low E to a D. For Testament, it's either G# C# F# B E, or C# F# B E A, low to high. Something like that, I guess...