Question about bass playing

IcedEarth_811

New Metal Member
Feb 13, 2002
Visit site
im a self taught guitar and bass player been playing for sometime and I have recently been recruited to play bass in a band with some friends. I Am dumb when it comes to music theory i havent picked it up yet. If i Was to learn theory would it help me Be a beter bass player?

Mostly what I do [although Im not a bass player] is just listen to a LOT of music, especially the more technical stuff. You can kinda pick shit up from that if you have a good enough ear. I mean, it's not everything, but it could help.

J

You can never learn enough!!!! :)

If your playing is doing well without knowing theory, go ahead and relax. But learning a bit of theory is always helpful in the idea that you can see the freetboard in a new a diffrent way.

But in my honest opinion....a good bass player doesn't follow the guitars (not to often anyway!:D ) try and feel the drums and follow them...your just as much the rhythm section as he/she is!
and remeber to stay in key, and not go overboard trying to do something your not capable of executing right off hand, you'll do awsome!

Steve, If your out there...got any advice?

reorting live from Salt Lake City
Dustin

Originally posted by IcedEarth_811
If i Was to learn theory would it help me Be a beter bass player?

Yes. A better all-around musician. Is it totally necessary to know? No.
Music comes from within, theory comes from outside sources. You can be an awesome musician, bass player, whatever, without knowing theory, if you have the desire. But everything you learn will help you in one way or another. You shouldn't be intimidated by theory, it seems overwhelming. But you can pick what you need out of it to use in your own musical experiences.
I'll have to agree with J for once...listening to anything and everything you can will help open your mind, and that's the best thing to do. Instead of closing it in some set of rules - Whether that be choosing theory, or avoiding it.

For once?! Hey! Ahhh anyways, lol.

Yeah, I recommend you listen to, in order:

Testament: "Alone in the Dark"
standard classic thrash =)
Iron Maiden: "Hallowed be Thy Name"
roots man... roots
Megadeth: "Lucretia"
more technical thrash sorta stuff
Black Sabbath: "Snowblind"
MORE roots
Carcass: "Heartwork"
suddenly the hard growling invasion
Sepultura: "Propaganda"
speeeeed
Death: "The Philosopher"
Just cuz! Tech/heavy
Rush: "2112"
dont even ask
Kansas: "...Wayward son"
Slayer: "Seasons in the Abyss"
Meshuggah: "Future Breed Machine"
Symphony X: "The Edge of Forever"
Savatage: "Hall of the Mountain King"
In Flames: "Jotun"
Bach: "Toccata and Fugue in D Minor"
Therion: "Rise of Sodom and Gomorrah"
Mozart: "40th Symphony"
Dark Hall: "Dark Hall"
jazz it up!
Anthrax: "Im the Man"
Nevermore: "The Learning"
Opeth: "The Moor"
Pink Floyd: "The Wall"
Soilwork: "Neurotica Rampage"
Queensryche: "Suite Sister Mary"
and to end it all on one weird note
Bad Religion: "Suffer"

=). Listen to that shit, and you'll come out with your head full of a shitload of different styles. Throw in some more jazz, folk and prog if you're truly silly.

J