Books for metal bass guitar

M

Metal guest

Hey friends,

I've been a bass player for nearly two years now, moving really rapidly, learning lots of technique and theory along the way and a solid practicing routine. As I'm developing as a bass player I find that there are certain things I really need to improve on. One of these things is independence between left hand and right hand, getting them to work independently and not be restricted to moving simultaneously in one direction. For example, I don't want to be playing the frets 5-7-8 and playing 1-2-3 with my right-hand fingers, rather be able to use 3-2-1. Basically what I'm looking for is good books on metal bass that'll focus on a real fast metal style of playing, because I haven't found any books that focus on Steve's style of playing (using three fingers on the right hand), or any other solid metal bass guitar player. If anyone knows any or has some good online lessons (besides Steve's :p) or books that can help me with this it'd be much appreciated.

Cheers everyone, Happy Headbanging New Year!

I don't know of any books that cover three-finger right hand technique and it's really a shame. BUT I know of a really, really good book full of finger exercises, that WILL improve your playing if you play the exercises correctly. "Bass Fitness" from Josequin des Pres. I hope you find it somewhoere - shouldn't be too hard. It's about ten years old, but the exercises are timeless, so it can't be improved anyway. Check it out.

About improving your right hand technique: You should make up your own finger-exercises in that case. It isn't too hard; just think of what finger movements are hard for you to execute and imagine how it should be played (this 5-6-7 while your right hand goes 3-2-1 is a good example) - just move your left and right hand slowly while you use the exact fingers you WANT to use. Repeat it over and over until it becomes easier, then increase the speed. With time your fingers will get used to it and it won't be a problem anymore.

Good luck and have fun! :)

Thanks Nico, I appreciate it, i'll also check out the Sean Malone book.

If it was just books that you were looking for then the selection is quite limited as most tutorals take the format of videos and dvds. If it was speed that you were wanting to improve on then Billy Sheehan has done two videos that are quite hard to get hold of but if you can then they are quite wonderful. I know that he dosent really play metal but he runs circles round most other metal players.
When it comes to more theory based videos then Stuart Hamm is one to look out for. Pop, slap and tap as well as deeper inside the bass are well worth watching.