Bass solo, take 1

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
Okay, so I'm not exactly a song writing type of guy, and when I do write, the songs end up either catchy crappy pop garbage, or old school style death metal. Either way, that's not my focus. I prefer structureless guitar/bass/drums jamming. And about 20 minutes ago I realized that I have a method to upload my music now, so here's a 3:56 minute freefrom bass solo that took me exactly 3:56 minutes to write, record, and play. Enjoy (or not).

http://nad.ultimatemetal.com/bass1.mp3

Note I'm super sloppy, this was my first time picking up the bass in over 6 weeks. :loco:

Another one, this I recorded a bit over a year ago (I think), written, played, and recorded at the same time. Note: NOT METAL AT ALL.

http://nad.ultimatemetal.com/soundslikeTheEnd.mp3

Basically, my process is pick up instrument, press record, play, hit stop key, done. Most of the time I don't even have an idea in my head until the record key is pressed, I just sorta go. Or something, I dunno. Whatchoo think? :D

Bass --> Zoom digital scetchpad 4-track --> SmartMedia card --> crappy (but free) Zoom software --> .wav --> .mp3

If Sorath and I do any bass offs, we must both be beligerently drunk. No other arena would fit.

Thanks, and is your roommate hot? Or is s/he a dude... :D

Black Winter Day said:
who would win in a bass battle between sorath and NAD???
Depends on whether the contest is "who can play the intro to 'Deathcrush' with the most distortion and look the silliest while doing it" or not...

What, quite? Yeah, that's a word. :D

Thanks! I'm impressed with the tone I achieved using nothing but onboard EQ barely tweaked (bass and treble slightly boosted, mid cut just a touch). I'm finally a believer in active electronics. Still hate changing 9V batteries though.

Heh, that's nifty bass work. I noticed that Steve Harris stuff at the end, but I challenge ya...

Go record the following and post link as a single MP3:

The intro to Wrathchild (Maiden) - nice and easy to get you warmed up
The mid section to Phantom of the Opera - the triads section
The interlude to Orion, where Cliff takes over and steals the show
The big finale: kick in the overdrive fuzz & wah and play a little Anesthesia

Tell you what, since I don't have those Iron Maiden CDs, I'll toss in some insanity from Rust in Peace instead, then work into Metallica. I'll post it in a few days. :D

(Send me a CD-R and consider the Maiden done as well)

NAD - you know, at minimum, you should hear Phantom of the Opera. I think, as a bass player, you would really appreciate the genius in that song considering it was written in the late 70's. Absolutely EONS ahead of its time.

I played the bass guitar for two years and my greatest personal achievement was playing 'The Trooper' and 'Flight of Icarus' at full speed - all fingers.

Nice work, NAD dude. Ever seen "Cliff 'em All"? Of course you have. Anyway, how about the live footage of Cliff playing this at some festival where he doesn't stop banging his head even for one second. His hair was going everywhere, he was in a trance, and he still played it so perfectly in front of 50,000 people.

Anyway, you just earned yourself a CD-R of some Maiden. I'll start a thread to get others to help out in the song selection.