Bass Solo sound...got tips ?

DaWolf

Mojito Maniac
Apr 17, 2009
The Black Forest
I`ll start mixing a song this evening and it has 2 short bass solos in it. This is my first time mixing a bass solo, so what should I try first to make it sound good and fit in the mix ?
Bass is DI from the amp just over a set of open chords from the guitars. We have not recorded regular bass on that part.
I want a smooth sound,I think having too much bass in it will make it sound pumpy and unpleasant...but where do I get my low end from in that part ? Maybe a synth playing along to the guitars or should I try eq the guitars...
Also what effects ? I thought maybe a chorus/flanger thing...

personally i'd just automate the level up, maybe add some reverb or delay depending on the section.

i like to keep it natural, so it sounds like a band....

Cool sound in that solo. Only problem to my ears is that some of the lower notes don't really come through equally well as the high notes, making them a bit harder to distinguish, maybe compress it a bit harder or automate some of the lower notes up a bit (especially the lower notes in the first part of the solo). Rest of the mix sounds very nice, apart from the normal bass being too loud the snare should come up a bit.

Thanks, I will try to make the deep notes to be better heard. There`s already a fair amount of compression on it, but maybe I have to tweak the settings a bit.
When the song`s done I`ll post the full mix in the rate section.

I´m not into bass solos (besides Primus) but that regular bass tone on the nd is indeed brutal.
There are parts of the solo that the sound fades away (ex: 0:16, 0:22, 0:28). Maybe lack of compression, maybe the effect is swallowing the tone on these parts.

Thanks, I will try to make the deep notes to be better heard. There`s already a fair amount of compression on it, but maybe I have to tweak the settings a bit.
When the song`s done I`ll post the full mix in the rate section.

Please do, song sounds pretty interesting :)

I wrote that song in 1992 or 93 , and I was heavily influenced by the Tech Thrash bands like Coroner and such...of course we weren`t nearly as good - and still aren`t 16 years later, lol.
But I`ll post the 93`demo tape version with the mix. There`s also a 95`album version, but I like the demo better.