Bass Strings

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
I need to change the strings on a bass for recording. I know jack all about bass strings besides the difference between roundwound and flatwound. Is there a certain brand/type/etc. of bass strings that you guys have had the best luck with?

Thanks,

I wind up my basses with Rotosounds. Always had good results... they're a very old skool, classic sounding string... I think Rush and McCartney used them, but honestly, Im not sure... either way, try em out.

I use D'addarios. They last for about 4-6 months depending on how much i play. I get the fatter ones, the sound is bigger and they last longer.

Ernie Ball here......

Anyone know where to get package deals on bass strings? Like 10-20 sets for discount rates? I go through quite a bit of 'em.

-0z-

I've been through many barands for long periods of time. My biggest suggestion is, get the lightest you can handle playing metal on. They are more toneful that way. The lower the tuning, the fatter the strings. I've gone up to a 120 on the E string for tuning down to "C". No tone at all.

For the past 6 years I've been using D'Addario XL165. That's the medium gauge set. I also put steel string on some of my instruments. I love Rotosound but they don't make a proper 6-string set which is what I play normally. I have recently discovered D'Addario Pro Steels, just like Rotosound but the tension feels a bit more even. Everyone has been commenting on my tone since I put these on.

OTHER BRANDS: I used Ernie Ball for 4 years. After going to D'Addario as an emergency, I realized the string tension on the Ernie Ball's weren't as tight as other brands, even when the sizes were the same. Ken Smiths are cool, the Rock Master series, hard to come by and even harder in specific gauges. I've also tried the D'Addario Prisms, they were nice but the most expensive 4-string set I've ever gotten next to Thomastic Infled.

I would never suggest flats unless you are Steve Harris or playing Motown or Staxx. Best of Luck.