Bass V-Amp vs. Sansamp Bass Driver vs. Sansamp RBI

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I'm looking at these three units for tracking bass direct, obviously they are priced differently for a reason, but what would you guys choose taking the prices into account? Naturally I want the RBI, but I'm positive I could get good enough tones with the Bass Driver DI... The thing there is that there's that little part of me that doesn't want to build a collection of small units like that when I could be buying rackmountable units instead, it's all a matter of keeping the studio organized :lol: But I can't justify spending $150 extra for the RBI just to have it mounted in a rack. Then of course there's the V-Amp, which probably doesn't sound as good as either of the Sansamp models, but for $150 rackmount unit, if it has decent enough sounds to give me some solid workable generic metal bass tones then that might be the best choice for me, since it also includes some of the guitar amp models that I quite like in my V-Amp 2 for just demo'ing stuff and practicing...

Any advice?

I would recommend the BDDI. Yeah its small and not rack-mountable, but you can attach some velcro to the bottom of it and some to the desk and then you've got it off the floor. It definitely can generate a bunch of really good tones, and its rugged as hell. I've yet to play through an RBI, so I can't say much about that, but the V-Amp is a last resort. Not the best tones in the world, but they can be workable. I didn't like it when I played it, but some people do.

The Bass v amp has effects as well, the others don't have that, but its also another analog to digital to analog conversion. Something to think about.
I've got the BDDI and its great.
I've also got a Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21, which is even more aggressive sounding than the Sansamp and its only about $30 new. Its a bit noisy though and won't run on phantom power and its made of plastic.

I think the rackmount sansamp has some more features and an effects loop.

BDDI is a no brainer. I bought my first one a decade ago and I still love it and haven't outgrown it. It also still works flawlessly and has never needed repair.

Also, do you guys know what the difference is exactly between the BDDI and the similar-looking Para Driver DI?

Our band just finished a quick recording using a RBI on bass and I like it for what it is. I received it for doing about $150.00 worth of guitar repair for a customer and by far was better that receiving the money. I don't have a BDDI but a few friends of mine do and I like the tones involved with that one also. The big difference is that the RBI has an effects loop with a 50/50 option as well as an effected and uneffected outputs. I own 2 PSA-1's and an original sansamp pedal and love the real tone of all of them. They are all analog signal paths and I like that. If you want to check out the recording go to, myspace.com/symbologykc and check out No Sanity. It was recorded by us (amateurs) on a Boss BR-1600 CD with hardly no experience so by no means was this a professional recording. For what it's worth, it's real easy to use and sounds great in person. I would love to hear how it would sound if someone on this site with recording know how used one.

rbi are amazing.
a must for any studio rack.
be honest, how many times do bands bring in a good bass amp??
it works and the bass sits nicely with it.
of course, an svt classic is nicer but this is hella cheaper