bass

JACKO said:
anyone got any heneral bass tips for begginers?
i should be gettin my bass in a couple of days
cheers,
JACKO

Don't take lessons. Learn a few scales...tale a trip to music theory.net. Find people to jam with. Aquire technique( A good book is called BAss Fitness, and it is cheap) If more comes to me, I will reply again

I recommend a book, Mel Bay is cheesy but effective. If you're REALLY serious, get Serious Electric Bass, most book stores carry it. Everything you've ever wanted to know about bass.

ohmysatan said:
if you haven't picked up the riff to enter sandman in 3 days of getting your bass then get lessons. if you have then do as stated above

Heh, funny. That was the first song I learned on bass.

just write your own stuff. listen to cds and do what ever comes out. if you have somthing in your head just try and try to get it. and for as long as you want to progress keep tryin difficult stuff that you cant play yet
and DONT USE A PICK!!!!!!!! picks are for pussies, your better off in the long run to use your fingers. that way to can include more interesting things like pops and slaps
~gR~

i r teh bass n00b :( I use a pick, but its kinda fucking hard to use fingers when you are playing EXACTLY what the guitar is playing at 250bpm. I'll adapt, I'm getting better at playing fast with my fingers :) Plus 6 string basses have alot of room to mess around, and they have me using all 6 of them :D

use more than one finger ;)
ive gotten pretty fast with my fingers. i can tremelo pick faster than the people in my past bands!
~gR~

Thats the sad part, I usa 3 :(

Speed really isn't THAT much of a problem, it's all the string skipping I have to keep doing. I'm really a guitar player that just happened to have a bass, and since a metal bass player in Columbus is hard to find, let alone a bass player in general, they asked me.

Fingerstyle is much easier to play faster than using a pick, shredding with a pick is too clumsy with those giant strings.

Nothing wrong with playing with a pick, but fingerstyle makes you more of a REAL bass player. :D

I will get flamed for this, but actually listen to some pop music and learn some of it. Just don't play that shit live or even show your friends. Ha ha ha...
I am actually dead serious. Though there certainly are notable exceptions, metal music is based on loud six string guitar and thundering drums. The bass gets lost often. Some of the 90s pop bands like The Gin Blossums and The Counting Crows have/had good bass players that don't play extremely difficult basslines, but have great flow, personality and tie the guitar and drums together well, while still throwing in cool riffs of their own.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I will get flamed for this, but actually listen to some pop music and learn some of it. Just don't play that shit live or even show your friends. Ha ha ha...
I am actually dead serious. Though there certainly are notable exceptions, metal music is based on loud six string guitar and thundering drums. The bass gets lost often. Some of the 90s pop bands like The Gin Blossums and The Counting Crows have/had good bass players that don't play extremely difficult basslines, but have great flow, personality and tie the guitar and drums together well, while still throwing in cool riffs of their own.

Bryant
:erk: hmm, i'll take that into consideration mate :Spin:

One other suggestion I have is learn to play with both a pick and fingers. Sometimes the finger-picking bassists will get down on the ones that use a pick, but I dont think a bassist has to do one or the other. I consider it two different techniques that give two distinct sounds and each have two different sounds to offer to two different songs.

Bryant

One other suggestion I have is learn to play with both a pick and fingers. Sometimes the finger-picking bassists will get down on the ones that use a pick, but I dont think a bassist has to do one or the other. I consider it two different techniques that give two distinct sounds and each have two different sounds to offer to two different songs.

Bryant

..and the best way to loose innocence of original ideas and go into clichés.. ;)

SPL said:
That's the WORST advice I've ever heard.

Lessons, even if it's just a few of them, are the BEST way to start learning a new instrument. Someone to guide and correct you is the best thing you can have.
aye, exactly what I thought. a lot of people start off without lessons and after a long while, they realise that they've done it wrong... and by then, getting a teacher would be too late and it would be really difficult to start over..

Dora said:
..and the best way to loose innocence of original ideas and go into clichés.. ;)

No way. A good foundation can never hurt. After watching friends play and playing bass for six months, I practically picked up an electric guitar and could play a simple power chord progression. Because I had developed an interest in guitar, and had been playing electric for about a year, my Dad offered to buy me an acoustic so I took his offer up. I took some "stupid" lessons learning those "country chords" and playing stuff like "House of the Rising Sun" and got really bored after a couple of months, but when I jumped back on the electric, I realized I had really progressed dramatically as a musician from learning those chords, as well as a major and minor scale. I would even recommend a bassist to get an acoustic (six-string) and learn how to play it. While I have never had any advanced lessons learning modes and different stuff like that, I will always look back at those "country lessons" as one of the biggest factors in my progression as a metal guitarist. I know it would work just as well for a bassist as I am also a bassist as well, not just a guitarist who can play bass. I started out on bass, gave it up for guitar, but rediscoverede it about five years ago and own one sweet Peavey Foundation five-string.

Bryant