Bassdrop mix

Asphyxiated

Mar 3, 2008
Hey guys. I was wondering, everytime i want to add a huge sounding bassdrop (subkick) in the mix, it clips like shit. I want the bassdrop to be noticeable and big sounding. So I was thinking, in the master, do you lower the main audio file at the place where the bassdrop is supposed to be? or any tips how to make huge bassdrops, without clipping?

- Martin

Sidechain the audio so the BOOM makes the whole song compress.
Listen to Strapping Young Lad.

that's exactly what you don't want, hehe.

try to add the subdrop when mastering the song. meaning, have the fully mixed song on one track, master as usual, and add a second track with just the subdrop. this way the low frequency energy won't fuck with the masterbus processing on the mix, mainly compression and limiting.
don't forget some slightly limiting on that master project's master bus, so the sum of mix+subdrop doesn't clip!.
maybe try some automation on the mix if the subdrop doesn't quite fit in.

Someone posted this song ages ago in the Rate My Mix subforum. I can't find the original post, or who posted it, so I've uploaded it to DropBox. It has the best bassdrops ever imo. It sounds like he's put it JUST after the transient, and then sidechained compression on the masterbus or something, because it allows this huge transient through and then the volume just plummets. Sounds fucking badass. Then just as the masterbus compressor recovers he put a crowd yell, so its even more badass.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/324723/EricMaster7.mp3 At 1:55.

If anyone recognises who mixed this, let me know.. I think its awesome.

that's exactly what you don't want, hehe.

try to add the subdrop when mastering the song. meaning, have the fully mixed song on one track, master as usual, and add a second track with just the subdrop. this way the low frequency energy won't fuck with the masterbus processing on the mix, mainly compression and limiting.
don't forget some slightly limiting on that master project's master bus, so the sum of mix+subdrop doesn't clip!.
maybe try some automation on the mix if the subdrop doesn't quite fit in.

This is what I was thinking. I've tried that, but it seems like the bassdrop fades away from the mix too much. Maybe im not processing the bassdrop correctly, i think i pitchshifted it, and then add a limiter, but still HUGE clip.

Wow, bluelightcory, what a helpful response. So a band comes to your studio and you are going to say something like "Nah, we don't do those here." ??? He's not saying he is highly in favor of bass drops but there is some reason he wants to know how to do it so let him get some advice.

Wow, bluelightcory, what a helpful response. So a band comes to your studio and you are going to say something like "Nah, we don't do those here." ??? He's not saying he is highly in favor of bass drops but there is some reason he wants to know how to do it so let him get some advice.

Ha ha, my response was more of a joke than anything else, I apologize - The internet tends to mask my sarcasm.

That said, I DO get really sick of bass drops, they're pretty much the epitome of a genre cliche - And I DO actually discourage bands from using them, as I feel that if we're all just trying to imitate everyone else then that's when music becomes stagnant. Sometimes they sound good and the band has actually written them into the music, but most of the time they're an "oh dude, we're in the studio, we want TONS of bass drops!" afterthought. How many bands have a reverse-cymbal-swell-into-bassdrop-chugga-breakdown? About half a million.

THAT said, I still usually end up having to swallow my pride and mix in plenty of bass drops. Because at the end of the day, it's the band's record, and if they want it to sound dated in 5 years, that's their decision.

maybe you just need to get a better bass drop sample. or maybe you're pushing the drop too loud because the low end is too cluttered in the mix to be able to hear it. as long as your mix isn't really terrible in the low end, throwing a bassdrop in shouldn't be an issue... I've never had to side chain or any of that crap.

I remember JFAC's Entombment of a Machine had a sub-drop every minute or something :D :D
Just kidding Cory ^_^

Yup - 5 years ago.

...and Genesis had none. ;)

At least I don't think it did, haha. I have admittedly done some sub-drop heavy CDs since then though - like I said, sometimes it has its place.

Automate a high-pass filter on the rest of the mix as the sub drop hits.

How do I automate a high-pass filter? I know how to do high/low passes on the eq, but on certain parts, that i don't know. I always do the eq on the individual track, like guitar left, vocals or whatever. Tips?

@BLUElightCory:
Everytime a bassdrop kicks in, my fucking balls tickle. I LOVE them! :D

Waves maxxbass

This is probably the best way to fine tune your low-end levels, besides careful EQ.

Make sure you monitor on as many systems as you can (including one full-range and one consumer) since the same MaxxBass processing can sound drastically different outside your mix room.

If you haven't got access to a well treated environment you're going to struggle, I guess.