Resampling Drums

fobert

New Metal Member
Jun 5, 2005
Canada
www.myspace.com
Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone could help me with figuring out how to resample drums. I found Andy's samples on here and I want to use his Kick and Snare. I use Cubase so I imported the audio file of the snare into an audio track. Now from here, how do I go about changing original snare in my mix to Andys Snare?

Genius that's incorrect.

The correct answer to this person's question is: SEARCH.

~006

Yes, resampling isn´t right word for this. (Youz can resample from 96 kHz to 44,1 KHz for example) Replacing, maybe triggering is what you are searching for I think.

Yes. If you tried to search for triggers, samples, using samples, etc. on this forum and didn't find anything...then you're doing something wrong lol.

~006

Yes. If you tried to search for triggers, samples, using samples, etc. on this forum and didn't find anything...then you're doing something wrong lol.

~006

OK man. I think you made your point, stop bitching. And apparantly "resampling" isn't the right word for what I was looking for, hence the reason I didn't find anything useful.

wow. nice first impressions man. you'll get a lot of advice from this forum. especially after your blunt disrespect to someone who has 2000 more posts here than you do. and imo he was not "bitching". learn to use the search better or when you make a post like this have a little more respect for 006 as im sure he knows MUCH more about this topic than you do.

oookkk. Weellll. Considering you guys don't seem to understand this let me explain again. I know how to use a search function, but, like I said, what I searched for, which I didn't know at the time, was the wrong term to be using for the info I wanted to find. So I thought, "Hey, this is a forum, well maybe I'll ask" And this is what happens when someone new asks a question around here I guess. I know not all of you are like that, because I did get some help, which I appreciate.
But for the other people, before you guys jump all over me for not knowing something, which is why I asked in the first place but anyway, maybe you should be a little more patient with people that are new to recording. And obviously "006" knows more about anything to do with recording than I do. Maybe he should have some respect and patience for people that are new to this. I would have had a respectful comment for him if his was to me.

Cool?

Because being 1337 on a forum is so [00!z3rZ!!! omfG WtF l0lZ!

Even though using the search option should be your first "Go to" option, perhaps he was looking for some direct, up to date conversation as to how to use the replacement samples as opposed to going through endless pages with what would appear to be a road to nowhere.

Searching through 14 pages of a thread consistent with inside internet forum jokes, bullshit, and harassment directed towards the original poster when the same question was asked the last time gets pretty tiring.

Short response?

Quit being a douche and help the guy out instead of excercising your frequent elitists card for a free 32oz Icee.

Also, as far as "first impressions" goes, being a dick to a new poster? That's not a great first impression either, so remove the ping pong paddle removed from your ass before you start shitting pancakes.

K thnx.

To the OP: I didn't mean to come off that way, I was saying that jokingly, in my 2nd reply to you, because samples and drum replacement is a big topic around here so a search would've turned up easily 20 pages or more. The internet is a hard medium to convey sarcasm over.

I have plenty of respect and patience when it comes to people trying to learn about recording and how to improve their work. In fact, I LOVE helping people out. I was new to recording at one point too, and I wish there was a place like this back then, so believe me I understand where you are coming from. But what I don't like is when people don't try to help themselves first. While this situation is a bit different, as the OP just simply used the wrong term when searching and I apologize for coming off as jumping on him for that. You need to realize, not asking you to accept it as justification, that during my time as a member of this forum, which has been quite a while :), I have seen tons and tons of people sign up and their first post, or at least the first few, is about something that has been covered numerous times.

So I apologize if I would rather see this community active with current topics and new things to talk about rather than rehashing ollllld information and repetitive mind-numbing basics. I'm also not the first member here to immediately respond with "search" to a new member asking a well-covered question. However, I guess this is a good reason for us to really revamp our FAQ section as it doesn't have anything about using samples to replace drums.

I'm really not a dick, I swear. :lol:

~006

So, let me start over...

To replace drum sounds you need a few things to start off with. 1) a DAW/host that uses VST plug-ins. 2) A VST plug-in that performs the replacement, such as Drumagog, apTrigga or if you are using ProTools HD/LE then SoundReplacer. 3) a set of samples to replace the existing original sound(s), and 4) some original tracks to work with.

Each host is about the same. When I say DAW or host, what I mean is the software you are using to record/mix in. Cubase, Nuendo, ProTools, Sonar, Acid, Vegas, Logic, Digital Performer and Audition are all DAWs or hosts. Each one has a feature where you can add a VST effect/plug-in to a channel.

I'm going to assume that you have some drum tracks already setup in your host. Now you want to replace the kick, for example. So to begin you'll have to add the sound replacement plug-in to the kick track. I have owned and used Drumagog in the past and it works, but the past year or so I have been using apTrigga and have noticed that it is much easier, and faster, for me to get it set for a natural and clean replacement. You will have to demo both of them to figure out which one you like more. Another thing to consider is that apTrigga is much less of a resource hog than Drumagog, so if your machine isn't hearty in the memory department, apTrigga will be the better choice. And the fact that apTrigga is like $40US vs. Drumagog's $200US (for the Basic version, to be precise) price tag....the price difference doesn't hurt :)

Once you have your plug-in on the track, lets just use apTrigga for example, then you need to load some samples into it. With apTrigga you just hit "add sample" and then it opens up a browser. Browse and find where you have your samples stored. By the way, you can find a really good zip with tons of great kick samples linked in the FAQ for the main Sneap Forum. So pick your kick sample. If you have more than one, great, click on the tab that says "2" and then click "add sample" again and load your next sample for that drum. Typically you will find a lot of single drum samples for kicks. That's fine, you can still work with it. If you want, you can load the same sample in again and pitch it down a little, or up a little...but the key word is little. Too much either way and it won't work out quite right. Pitching the sample up or down will create the effect of multiple samples. So, if you've pitched one up, then you can load the sample again, in the tab labeled "3", and pitch it down a tad. So now, from 1 sample, you have 3 "different" samples.

So you have the samples loaded. Next up is setting the threshold and blending for your track. If you want to completely replace the original, as in the only thing you want to hear is the awesome sample you just downloaded, then turn the "Dry" knob to 0 (zero). If you want 50/50, then turn the dry knob to...50. apTrigga can be a little confusing since the dry and wet knobs go from 0-200, but just fuck with the knobs and you'll get a feel for how they work.

Ok, so regardless of how much original sound and how much sample sound you want to hear, you need to set the threshold properly so that you are only hearing the plug-in play the sample when a kick is being hit. If you have a lot of bleed in your kick mic then you'll need to either edit it out or set up a gate before apTrigga so that it only sees the clean audio. Once you have a clean kick track you can start working on setting the threshold. In apTrigga there is a meter showing you where the signal is peaking when the kick is being hit. Set the threshold just below the lowest peaking kick hit.

That should be it, for the most part. Now you should be hearing the sample every time the kick is being played. With apTrigga there are a few cool modes to play with, Dynamic, Stack and Random. There are a couple others but these are the only 3 I use most often. Dynamic is exactly as it sounds, it will play a sample at a certain volume based on where your threshold is set and how much higher the original signal peaks above the threshold. So, for example, if it just barely peaks over the thresh, then apTrigga will play a sample, but at a quieter volume than if it peaks way over the thresh, in which case it will play a sample at full blast. Stack is cool if you have a couple of different samples that are good when played at the same time, apTrigga just stacks them and plays them both every time it is triggered. My favorite mode is Random. In this mode it, again as it sounds, plays a random sample every time the input goes over the threshold.

The same basic method is used for any other part of the drumkit (snare and toms, etc.). However, the blending and modes are completely dependent on what you are going for.

~006

Wow man. I really didn't expect to get that thorough of an answer when I first posted this. I really appreciate it. I feel like a dick now lol.

I apologize for the shitstorm that this post caused.

Thanks a lot to everyone that helped.

Kenny