BASZ DR0PZ (I know...again)

Sep 8, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Ok. So I've been around this forum for a while now, and I still haven't been able to fit bass drops in my mix. Are you supposed to make surgical EQ cuts to let the kick hit through the bass drop? Will MaxxBass help if I boost the frequency? Or will it get too muddy? Another thing. Is this on a stereo track or mono? Thanks

I'd like some more info on bass as well. No matter what I do I never seem to get my bass to feel solid. (sorry not trying to hijack)

mono, just get an 808 hit, low pass it, maybe a little compression leave everything else alone if your mix is good it should just fit right in and of course it needs to be in the right place.

This can get bottom end on a kick but leave it naked from the mix.

the kick will be killed in this little moment. you cant do anything against it. a bassdrop is so much more powerful that it wont make any difference if you notch it at 70hz to get the punch of the kick through it. when you have a good metal kickdrum sound there will not only be a kick punch but also a kick "klick" an this you will here even if there is a subdrop.

It depends a lot in the frequency of the bass drop. There are a ton of threads that give more information on this. I've seen a chart around here that shows you what frequency the drop should be in depending in the key the guitars are in.

MaxxBass is actually a good idea. MaxxBass will help the bass drop pop out in systems that don't really have a lot of bass like in headphones.

Make sure you don't have it turned up too loud. If your bass drop is making everything go quiet when it hits then it's deff to loud.

EQing the bass drop does not make sense anyway cause it's made of (normally almost) one major frequency. Equing it is therefore (normally almost) the same as affecting its volume.

I'd say if the mix is fine, just drop it there, and don't make it too loud to avoid excessive pumping from the compressor, and so that it doesn't feel too weird that after such a drop the bass sounds thin.

for me....when i record a metal band ill usually purposely make the drop in a dissonant note from what the guitars are tuned to. also its nice to make the frequency fall slightly... helps it to stand out a little more and sound like a sub hit rather then a single note booooo in the same key as the song. although for rock bands/some metal instances ill make them in key. but you gotta use your ears. i make all my bass drops to the song so each one is a little different... if you're using logic, ultrabeat's default kits bottom most sample (bottom of the screen) is a GREAT starting point, it just needs to be made longer and have the "starting note" lowered

Step one: Make sine wave to length that you want it at whatever key your song is in.
http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html
The octave you'll want is 2...Ie, a song in drop D would be a frequency of 73.42
Step two: drop it 1 octave, with whatever kind of pitch alteration you want. You can drag it out for however long you want

now. I read a trick on here once that i ABSOLUTELY love. Do ALL of your mastering except limiting on a different bus before your final limiter. Send the bassdrop there. Then it won't duck your whole mix. works like a charm!

pro tip no.2 (from Machine Shop): putting the bass drop in after the mastering stage is alot more efficient as the low end energy won't screw up your master when using limiters.