Bath / LYBM liner notes puzzle: The current state of the game

delamarche

May 10, 2006
Since the bulk of the progress on this has been made in fits in spurts in the 2003 Kayo Dot interview thread, I thought it would be good to gather everything here. Let's try to keep the current state of the puzzle's solution here, shall we?

The Beginning
First things first: the lyrics to the Secret Song are the most direct instructions we seem to have about solving the puzzle.

Oraios
Topio
Petra
Ypnos

I saw the branches of a tree
Falling on these planets

Binah
Geburah
Hod
Yesod

I read into these four songs
The numbers of the lines
In a magical language
And wrote the first words

And this is a great secret

The Greek Stuff

Oraios, Topio, Petra, Ypnos are Greek words. It is believed that they correspond to 4 specific songs throughout the two albums.

Helm said:
Oraios: beautiful, comely, handsome, appealing. The origin of the word from 'that which has shape'. The greeks thought of order as beautiful and the lack of it, if not ugly, certainly not something of interest to any man.

Topio: landscape, spectacle of interest. From Topos, which is as xfer says, land.

Petra: Rock. Something steady. Yup.

Ypnos: sleep, or another similar state of unconsciousness. One of the many quasi-divine figures of the ancient greeks. Later, the brother of Death.

It's not too much of a stretch to presume:

• Oraios = They Aren't All Beautifull
  • Topio = Geography
  • Petra = Stones of October's Sobbing
  • Ypnos = Sleep is a Curse

"I saw the branches of a tree falling on these planets"
This line is super ambiguous and could mean a variety of things. However, the reference is to the Kabbalah Tree of Life, which you should probably go read about if you want to work on this thing.

Anyhow, notice that Binah, Geburah, Hod, and Yesod are all "branches" of the tree. (If you're a programming nerd like me this terminology might annoy you a bit, but you'll get over it. You can think of them as "vertices" if you like. They are also called "sephira", I believe.)

Now:

every sephira has a celestial correspondence (binah -> saturn, etc.) which makes birth pains of astral projection seem really important (central?) to solving the puzzle:

"maybe on saturn (binah) or mars (geburah) or mercury (hod) or luna (yesod)"

Ignore the comment about the importance of Birth Pangs for now -- this does, however, give us an ordering to work with.

• Oraios => Binah => Saturn => They Aren't All Beautifull
  • Topio => Geburah => Mars => Geography
  • Petra => Hod => Mercury => Stones of October's Sobbing
  • Ypnos => Yesod => Luna => Sleep is a Curse

Awesome! I hope you like how consistent and easy this mapping is, because things are about to get way shittier.

I read into these four songs / The numbers of the lines

So now, if you flip through the Bath and LYBM booklets, you will find these weird sigils that are written overtop lines of Hebrew.

The Hebrew in the bottom line always corresponds to the name of one of the sephira from above. They also appear in the order from above also, starting with Bath and moving to LYBM.

The top line consists of columns of Hebrew words, but note that Hebrew words can also be interpreted as numbers. Hebrew is also read left-to-right. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_numerals for a primer.

As for the sigils... we'll discuss those later, as it's still a fairly wide-open question as to what we should be using those for.

First diagram in Bath:
cCsZZSt.jpg

The Hebrew in the bottom line corresponds to Binah ("Understanding").

The top line columns, when read right-to-left and interpreted as numbers are:

• 4 + 10 = 14
  • 8 + 10 = 18
  • 6 + 10 = 16

Second diagram in Bath

hnfhn04.jpg

The Hebrew in the bottom line corresponds to Geburah ("Power").

• 6 + 10 = 16
  • 1 + 10 = 11

First diagram in LYBM
    Wctsfay.jpg

The Hebrew in the bottom line corresponds to Hod ("Majesty/Praise").

This is where things get ugly. We're sort of hoping that all these columns correspond directly to line numbers (more on that later), but one of these columns makes no sense at all, and another is 400.
    • 1 + 10 = 11
    • 20?? 4??

delamarche said:
    I sent this Hod thing to a friend of mine who writes / speaks Hebrew fluently and here's what I got back:

==

BUT The last one (42) makes no sense. Hebrew is right to left, so that's 42 - but if you reverse the letters you get the word (??) meaning jug (and 24).

Second diagram in LYBM

cNygPSf.jpg

This one doesn't have its own page. Is this another clue, or did Toby just run out of space? :)

The Hebrew in the bottom line corresponds to Yesod ("foundation").

• 8 + 10 = 18
    • 5 + 10 = 15

So what do we do with all this?

The First Breakthrough
    YaYo said:
    I have decoded the secret to be:

See creation breathe you in
    Speak voiceless sleep I
    The men clear time
    The great the the life

yep...

you'd think they at least tried to make their secret make sense eh?

FuSoYa said:
    well, that's the closest i've ever seen anyone get. You're on the right track.
    ... consider that we were like 20-21 years old when we were doing that album, so none of us could really have been very advanced in Kabbalah, you know? It does have to do with the illustrations to a degree. I'm not going to say anymore about it. I think it's awesome how close YaYo got, which means that the method seems to have been interpreted in the intended way, which is fucking cool.

The method?

YaYo said:
    The hebrew spellings of Binah, Geburah, Hod, and Yesod appear in the booklet, one for each of the interludes. Along with that is another line of hebrew for each (the top line on each of those pages). They are arranged in 4 or 5 groups of either singles or pairs.. and in most cases if there's a pair then the second symbol will be the number 10, and all other symbols have a value of less than 10.. seems supiciously like they're representing numbers to me. So i got the value of all these and used them as line numbers, matching them up to the songs listed in the same order in Secret Song. Since hebrew is supposed to be read right to left i used those numbers in reverse order.

But... there's an exception to this.. Hod (8) i think it is (i dont have my papers with me at the moment.. you'll see though). The hebrew values for this one dont come out nicely.. i'm working off the top of my head but i think the lefthand pair has values of 20 (500 if last) and maybe 4.. and then the third has a value of 400 or 200 or something. That first one should be 500 since it is last (right to left), so you end up with 504, _, 400, _ or something like that. If it weren't for the 400 one i'd assume the first number was simply 24..

All seems logical to me except for those big numbers.. Only song with line numbers that big is The Ferryman, because it's taken from some old text.

So... there are many places i could be going wrong, and something isnt quite right. Maybe i'm not getting the lines from the correct songs, maybe Yesod and the gang match up to the songs somehow other than just by the order they're mentioned in Secret Song.

Or maybe i screwed up something obvious..

One last thing, i screwed up..
    "The great the the life" using my method should be --> "So great the the life"

The Great Unknown

OK, that was the fun part.

So now the question is, where the hell do we go from here? Toby has already indicated that those sigils are pretty important to the solution.

My first stab at this was to try to inscribe the sigils directly onto the tree of life itself. I had no idea what the purpose of this was, it was just the first thing I thought to try.

Here was my reasoning:

delamarche said:
    However, given the progress so far, and the fact that Toby and xfer have only really validated that we should look at those squiggle drawings next, I really do believe they represent some connectivity in the numbers/words, and potentially a mutation of the numbers as well. If you look at the tree of life diagram, take away all the connections and just leave the bridging symbols behind, you can sort of imagine superimposing these squiggle diagrams atop them and getting a sequence of symbols out.

(The last one for Yesod in purple which doesn't have a page on its own squiggles up and down, and moves a bit to the right each time -- I take this to mean vertical movement only, but since they couldn't draw a 3d picture, this was the best we could get.)

Now (a) where the superimposition should begin and (b) what the sequences would mean are all open questions to me. I'm going to tinker with this a bit more.

I found a way to make the latter two sigils fit, but it didn't feel right. Despite all this, xfer said:

xfer said:
    I'm very impressed with delamarche!

I dunno why. I suspect maybe he's easily impressed, because this doesn't seem like at all the correct direction to be going in. :)

Braxil had a wayyyyyyyyyyy better idea:

I had myself convinced that this was the answer at first too, until I tried to do the last two and ran into the same problems. What I tried next, however, was a lot more promising. Saturn, Mars, Mercury, and Luna not only correspond to the tree of life, but also to magic squares. You can see what I'm referring to here. The circle, line, bar diagrams are actually called sigils, and encoding a word into a sigil is commonly done (example). My idea was to fit the sigils to the appropriately-sized magic square depending on the corresponding planet, and then record the numbers at each angle, and that these would end up being "the number of the lines" in the already-established tracks referred to in the Secret Song (They Aren't All Beautifull, Geography, Stones of October's Sobbing, Sleep Is A Curse). Unfortunately, I ran into issues again, especially with the last sigil which has rounded edges instead of angles that I couldn't quite figure out what to do with and never finished. I haven't worked on the puzzle in a while, but if what I've said in this post helps anyone figure anything out further I would really like to see the mystery solved.

EDIT: Included some pictures of squares and sigils.

Magic Squares:

Saturn:
    saturn_numbers.jpg

Mars:
    mars_numbers.jpg

Mercury:
    mercury_numbers.jpg

Luna:
    moon_numbers.jpg

It is interesting to note that the order of planets in the song also happens to be in ascending order of magic square size.

Example of a sigil (note the similarities to the symbols in the liner notes). The circle denotes the starting point, and the bar denotes the ending point:

sigilani.gif

If you want an example closer to our source material, consider the Binah inscription:

DQzQl4O.jpg

It's less obvious to know where to start the other ones, since the squares are a lot larger and those sigils could conceivably be inscribed in multiple places. I haven't even tried to look into that yet, I wanted to get all this written up first. But I really do think this is the right way to go, I've been reading Agrippa's "Of Occult Philosophy" book 2 and there's a lot of detail on this sort of thing there.

I actually had a bunch of ideas as to what these sequences could be used for. Braxis said:

Braxil said:
    The idea I had was each number inscribed in the sigil was a line number in the lyrics (you'll notice they're all numbered in the booklet), and the first word of each of those numbered lines would form the message.

So, basically the same idea we originally had with the hebrew "line numbers" above. However, Toby already sort of praised YaYo for using those older numbers as the line indices, so I'm willing to bet that YaYo at least had started this off properly.

I can only think that means that these sigils and the sequences of numbers they form represent some sort of transformation of the lines from the poem. The frustrating thing is that there's so little correlation between them. e.g. the sigil for Geburah has 5 inflection points, but there are only 4 words in the line we created using YaYo's method.

The sigil for Hod also has 5 inflection points, but there are ostensibly only 4 words / sets of indices in the Hod line numbers (even though we still don't know what they mean.)

Actually, come to think of it, all the sigils have 5 inflection points in them...

Other random stuff

Birth Pains of Astral Projection
    This song seems rather pivotal to the puzzle. My working theory is that you were intended to use Birth Pangs as your "guide" to solving the puzzle if you didn't have access to the secret song. However, I can't see how you ever would have gone anywhere with this, because there's no correspondence at all to the greek words, which you need to get the connection to the actual songs we believe we're supposed to be extracting words from.

But to quote the relevant passage

Maybe on Saturn or Mars or Mercury or Luna,
    Maybe this is a CLUUUUUUUUUUUUAHHHHHHHHHHHHH (clue)

where the celestials are given italics in the text. This would at least get you the correct ordering of things, but I have no fucking clue how you'd make the connections to actual songs without those greek words.

Interesting tidbit: there is only one other word in the lyrics for this song that is italicized, and that is Amelia

But Amelia is asleep in winter
    But Amelia may be waking soon

Clue, or just misdirection? I have no idea.

Everything in Hebrew is also a number
    We could conceivably get any of the words we're working with and see if we can find meaning in their numbers, and vice-versa.

The Dope talked about some of this in his posting back and forth with YaYo:

It seems to me that all the basic elements for solving it are there, but it's more a problem of knowing which "numbers" are intended by the "numbers of the lines" in the Secret Song. I can think of a lot of numbers that can be derived from what information is given: the positions of Binah, Geburah, Hod, and Yesod on the Tree of Life (3,5,8,9), the total numeric value of each of those words based on the Hebrew spellings (67, 216, 15, and 80, if my math is correct), etc.

As another example of this, the "4 2 <-> 2 4" snafu in the Hod columns elicited a comment from my translator friend that the number 24 is also the word for "jug". Could this indicate e.g. an expansion into Girl with a Watering Can, for example?

The Squiggle-thing in the Bottom Left Corner of the Binah sigil
    If you look up sigils drawn on magic squares, you'll find a lot of cases where they draw a little M-shaped "double bump" at a vertex, rather than just leaving a corner there. I have no idea what that means yet -- I saw a couple of examples where it seems to change the expected numbers (maybe it means it is being visited twice or something?) but there was no explanation of why at all -- maybe that's why they call it magick.

If you look at the bottom-left corner of the Binah sigil, it appears to have one of these little thingies there. Does it mean something, or is it just stylistic?

Why do pretty much all the songs have line numbers?
    Besides Birth Pains (which is theoretically intended to be a "key" to the rest of the puzzle), all of the other songs have line numbers on them. Are we intended to use words from every song, or was that misdirection?

Does The Ferryman have any importance?
    There are two things that make the Ferryman interesting:
    • The line numbers are all fucked up because (I think) they're excerpts from Virgil or something (I think)
    • There's an exchange between two Greek names or something in that section.

The large line numbers wouldn't be super interesting to me, except that the Hod sigil has at least one curiously large number in it. A line number of 400 doesn't really index into any of those paragraphs though.

The Greek part is interesting because Greek was used as part of the correlation in the Secret Song, whereas the rest of the puzzle has dealt in Hebrew. Is there a further connection to be made here?

Whew.

That seems like a good start to me. If you're new to the puzzle, reading everything above should get you more or less up to speed with where (I think) forum people here have taken things so far. Now it's up to you to go farther with it!

And if you have done personal work on this puzzle that you've never shared, please post it here! Even if you think it's totally stupid, it may lead someone else in the right direction!

excellent, excellent write up; this is much appreciated. sorry to nitpick, but the first time you mention Hebrew and you want to say it is read "right to left" you wrote "left to right".

some thoughts I have:
the 4th diagram with the curved line really poses a problem. For one, it doesn't have sharp edges so how will you interpret which numbers the inflection points correlate to? also, that magic square in particular is so large, where will it go? I have to check the booklets, but sleep is a curse is a shorter song so it may be hard to find a spot on the square where only low numbers will fit to correlate to line numbers in that song.

do those Hebrew numbers under the sigils translate into words at all?

I can't help but think "the blue ghost/shedding qliphoth" has some sort of clue. I thought there could be some sort of connection with the tree of life / tree of death but I can't think of anything in particular. then I read this line from http://omega-magick.blogspot.com/2012/06/qliphoth.html#.UiiRAqPD-kw "Eliphas Levi talks about in his books: he said "the Qliphoth" represent the world bark, peelings or empty shells, psychic residue, which grow alongside Sephiroth." So "shedding" the qliphoth (or bark) to get to the tree of life? I dunno, seems kinda flimsy but maybe there is something there but I also find it interesting that this is the only other instrumental song.

don't know how much that will help but hopefully that will get you guys thinking on some other possibilities.

also I think the Hebrew numbers are being mistranslated. using that website you linked, this is what I get for Binah:
17 (I'm having trouble with this one. that symbol looks like 7 but could also be 200 but it DEFINETELY can't be 16. Read that website under key exceptions: By convention, the numbers 15 and 16 are represented as &#8235;&#1496;&#1524;&#1493;&#8236; (9 + 6) and &#8235;&#1496;&#1524;&#1494;&#8236; (9 + 7), respectively. This is done in order to refrain from using the two-letter combinations &#1497;&#8211;&#1492; *(10 + 5)&#8236; and &#1497;&#8211;&#1493; *(10 + 6)&#8236; (which are alternate written forms for the Name of God) in everyday writing.)

I think there may be a couple numbers wrong in the other ones but again I'm no expert and am just going by that website so I'm having trouble matching them up. for example, the 400 looks like it could be 40 to me. but again, wherever you have a 15 or a 16 is most likely wrong.

The Squiggle-thing in the Bottom Left Corner of the Binah sigil
If you look up sigils drawn on magic squares, you'll find a lot of cases where they draw a little M-shaped "double bump" at a vertex, rather than just leaving a corner there. I have no idea what that means yet -- I saw a couple of examples where it seems to change the expected numbers (maybe it means it is being visited twice or something?) but there was no explanation of why at all -- maybe that's why they call it magick.

The squiggles in a corner mean to count the number multiple times, two bumps = count it twice. Sorry for omitting this.

Oh, and regarding the Greek words. I think it was meant to be a clue to use Greek and not Hebrew Gematria for part of the puzzle, but I never really got anywhere with that. That was the only explanation I could come up with.

Ok so after doing some more research on sigils and magick squares, I'm pretty sure the 4 symbols in the booklets should represent a word, not the lines of the songs (I think yayo was correct in assuming the Hebrew numbers are the lines). that's exactly what sigils are - first you translate a word into its numerical value and then you trace those numbers out on the square. (explained here http://www.helenerudolph.com/articles/sigils)

I just can't make any sense of it though. Taking delamarche's example of the Saturn sigil, I get:
5 9 8 8 5 1
E I H H E A
N RQ Q N J
W _Z Z W S

I can't make a word out of that. Even if I shift the sigil over to numbers 7,2,1,1,7,6 I still can't make anything coherent. Any thoughts on this or am I way off? I figure if that is the key then it should be pretty simple to fit the other sigils on the squares since you are limited to numbers 1-9.

As for the curved lines of the 4th sigil, I guess that is pretty common. check this out for reference http://www.thebabylonmatrix.com/index.php?title=911:Magic_Squares_and_Sigils

thread's kinda dead but....

You think maybe the confusion with the hod symbol could be due to a typo?
If you read it as 2 and 4 (instead of 42 or 24) the line becomes "the men clear shivering leaves." (assuming the 2nd to last number is 8 and not 400). The page for "stones" in the booklet has leaves on it so i wonder if this is the case.

I thought about this once somewhere, but never quite nailed the phrase like you did.

Would someone *ahem* like to comment on this possibility?

Did anyone else listen to the Byron Color of Air interview? I think this is a lost cause :C

EDIT: I dropped acid over the summer and tried to solve it and the only difference in results I got was that the last line read "so great the humbled life"...

but i was fucked up so you shouldn't trust me...

Does this interview exist in digital somewhere??? I've never heard of this.

OK, so Amelia was apparently a pet ghost from highschool or whatever. I guess she probably doesn't have much to do with the puzzle.

Could it be that the last two sigils numbers need to be reversed? Tree of Life and Death are mentioned often, and the two albums favor duality and symmetry (equal amount of songs on the original albums, album art of one represents the other) and I believe the two trees are supposed to be mirror images of each other. Perhaps this means the numbers must be read backwards or interpreted backwards (could help with the Hod issue?)

I dunno, just throwing out some ideas. Nobody has posted here in a year and a half so....

Hmmm... Has anyone considered that the songs we think are being referred to are wrong?

Binah = 3
Gevurah = 5
Hod = 8
Yesod = 9

What if those are track numbers? Interlude 4 on LYBM is track 9 and it HAS lyrics despite being an instrumental.

This could mean the songs referred to are in this list:
Heaven and Weak / Bizarre Flowers
The Ferryman / Garden Song
Birth Pains / Riseth He Pt. 2
Interlude 4

I know there are other things to consider but maybe it's possible we discovered the correct end-method by accidentally skipping steps? Who knows what was going on in Byron's mind...

Anyway I'll try out the numerals on these different songs and see if we get anything that makes sense...

Uh... Maybe not, haha.

I will say that using Greek numerology, the Luna Magic Square and the last sigil I was able to pretty logically map out the word "Ypnos".

But the other ones pose problems using my method.