Bathory vs. Led Zeppelin

NAD

What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse
Jun 5, 2002
Kandarian Ruins
So which one invented Viking Metal?

The main riff is easily sang Beavis and Butt-head style (DUHN DA DUHN!!!), and therefore metal.

Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song (1970)

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

Ah, ah,
We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
How soft your fields so green, can whisper tales of gore,
Of how we calmed the tides of war. We are your overlords.

On we sweep with threshing oar, Our only goal will be the western shore.

So now you'd better stop and rebuild all your ruins,
For peace and trust can win the day despite of all your losing.

I've never heard of a viking metal band saying Led Zep was their inspiration, but I've seen countless bands say Bathory was their inspiration.

bodomgay.gif

The song is about Vikings sure but that doesn't necessarily make it Viking Metal! Bathory created that sound of course :cool:

Obviously yeah, Bathory's stuff is much more deliberate and epic than this very basic song, but I would certainly imagine Quorthon was at least partially influenced by it. He at least heard it say... 5 to 6 times in his youth. That was a scientific conclusion by the way. :loco:

We need battle threads where the fighters are in the same division. E.g.:

Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest
Iced Earth vs Nevermore
Satyricon vs Darkthrone
Carcass vs Morbid Angel

That kinda thing. Otherwise all battle threads are gay and lying.

I do realize this particular thread wasn't a battle of bands, however, so it's not as homosexual or deceptive as the Sabs vs Irons thread. Away with you BWD, or I shall flog you to your bone. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
We need battle threads where the fighters are in the same division. E.g.:

Iron Maiden vs Judas Priest
Iced Earth vs Nevermore
Satyricon vs Darkthrone
Carcass vs Morbid Angel

That kinda thing. Otherwise all battle threads are gay and lying.

I do realize this particular thread wasn't a battle of bands, however, so it's not as homosexual or deceptive as the Sabs vs Irons thread. Away with you BWD, or I shall flog you to your bone. :loco:
What he said....except the flogging part.

Satyricon, specifically Satyr, pissed me off lately. On the video clip on their site, and in recent interviews concerning their latest tour, he goes off on this rrant about how their not really Black Metal in the U.S. and how Satyricon and other such bands are coming to show the people of this country the joys of black metal. I guess he failed to notice how Norways Bm scene is stagnant as all fuck, while the U.S. BM scene is flourishing. I think Akkhenatan said the funniest comment concerning Norway at the STNC Festival in Texas: "Fuc k Norway. They take Black metal and package it for 14 year old girls."Fuck Im drunk.