Bathory's "Enter the Eternal Fire"

It's not that, because I actually prefer the 90's. I just feel to fully appreciate the spirit of a sound, one must explore, appreciate and respect the bands who discovered it. A black metal fan is not a black metal fan without knowing Bathory. That is just plain fact.

Just like a post-core fan can't fully know and appreciate that sound without Neurosis :loco:

Even the followers would tell you this :D

EDIT: Think about it, Bathory is pure. No bullshit studio tricks, just a punk, his guitar and raw energy. Just like Neurosis' Souls at Zero. Cannot be equalled.

Ulver used studio tricks to get that sound. Bathory used an empty warehouse and pure emotion.

I don't know, man. Maybe it makes me look less legitimate as a metal fan, but I just don't care for bands like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Neurosis, and others - despite them all being incredibly influential.

^^ I could say the same. Though I gotta give credit to Bathory for bringing the whole black/viking/pagan metal genre alive.

All in all, I'd rather know if we can still produce excellent music nowadays, instead of being stuck in the 80s/90s and thinking the only tolerable music came from there.

Why not enjoy music from the 70's, 80's, 90's and what little good music there is in the 00's? Best of all worlds.

All in all, I'd rather know if we can still produce excellent music nowadays, instead of being stuck in the 80s/90s and thinking the only tolerable music came from there.

Without that knowledge, my interest in music would cease to exist. Without the potential for improvement upon the originators, things become stagnant. The future and the present have always been more important to me than the past...sure I listen to countless pre-2000 albums, but if you insist on believing that something has to be influential and/or original to be important, you miss out on a lot of great music.

Can't we all just agree that Under the Sign of the Black Mark is the greatest album of the 80's?

Because it is.

You know you want to agree.

I don't know, man. Maybe it makes me look less legitimate as a metal fan,

What the heck is a "metal fan" supposed to be? There is no benchmark! The only concern you should have is whether it makes you look less legitimate as a 'reviewer' of heavy metal music for a heavy metal webzine. You have no frame of reference! :loco:

but I just don't care for bands like Sabbath, Priest, Maiden, Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory, Neurosis, and others - despite them all being incredibly influential.

And this is simply because of the release date of when their music came out? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So you're saying that metal is only relevant if it came out within a certain finite timeframe? What is your cut off point, 6.43 months or something? :loco:

Fucking armchair supporters. :mad: ;)

What the heck is a "metal fan" supposed to be?

I don't know. A lot of people on this forum are always throwing that phrase around with "if you don't have this [insert album title], then you aren't a metal fan." Or "if you don't like [insert band name], then you aren't a metal fan." Your best guess is mine. :loco:

JayKeeley said:
There is no benchmark! The only concern you should have is whether it makes you look less legitimate as a 'reviewer' of heavy metal music for a heavy metal webzine. You have no frame of reference! :loco:

I've heard all those bands. I simply don't care for them. I would argue that the term "heavy metal" can and does refer to a specific subgenre of metal, which is also known as "traditional metal," though it didn't used to mean that. When people ask me what I listen to, I just say metal. Some may disagree with that stance - MetalReview.com has the tag "Heavy Metal Music Reviews" at the top of the browser on the homepage, even - but that's where I stand.

:)

And this is simply because of the release date of when their music came out? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So you're saying that metal is only relevant if it came out within a certain finite timeframe? What is your cut off point, 6.43 months or something? :loco:

Fucking armchair supporters. :mad: ;)

No. It has nothing to do with release dates. I typically gravitate towards more recent albums - that's all. :wave:

Yeah, that might be natural. After all, we live in a day and age where there is significantly more talk about new releases compared to old. That said, the good thing about metal is that you can keep exploring through the last 40 years of releases and always find something cool to sink your teeth into. It does take time though, wading through heaps of information, but that's why I tend to think that most metal fans are naturally quite obsessive compulsive.

christ o mighty, this song, this album, it is undeniable, it is my Friday night along with Nordland I & II. I don't pay enough attention to those 2 and they're quite brilliant!

tully said it best with:

What you meen is you have never haerda guitar recorded with more DEVILISH METAL INSPIRATION! He is speaking in black tongues through the steel of his guitar strings!

even his spelling and grammar is hard to disagree with when you put it into context :loco:

It's either that or Blood Fire Death. Or Black Metal. Or Melissa. Or Don't Break The Oath. Or In The Sign Of Evil. Or Anno Domini. Or INRI. Or...fuck. Actually yeah probably.