Threatcon Delta Force
Feb 12, 2002
New York
Visit site

http://www.battlehelm.com/interviews/deathriders.htm
logobanner.jpg

deathriders.jpg

deathriderslogo.jpg

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Having had a fireball interview recently with Scott Ian of Anthrax, in which we talked about the band's early years, it came as no surprise that the band's first vocalist - Neil Turbin - was mentioned somewhat controversially. Therefore when Neil himself showcased his own band - Deathriders - this year, I couldn't wait to hear what he had to say! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-Shan Siva[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Greetings Neil, I go back to the days of 'Fistful...' so here are some questions that I've always wanted to ask you in addition to stuff on your new band Deathriders (hopefully I'll see you in person at Headbangers Open Air this year too!).
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Neil: If you missed HOA 2009, it was the best outdoor old school metal festival. You can still catch a few songs from DEATHRIDERS performance at: www.DEATHRIDERS.net/presskit.html

Was Anthrax the first metal band that you sang in or is there some sorta Neil Turbin 'pre history'?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]My first band was The Newrace which was early era heavy metal band fused with punk - 1978 to 1981. Then after The Newrace broke-up, I joined a band called Amra which was more progressive metal/hard rock band in 1982. I had 5 years of writing songs and played clubs in NYC before joining the cattle disease.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]How did you hook up with Anthrax cos from the way Scott Ian kinda explained it to me recently I got the impression there were some personality conflicts (especially between you and Lilker) so it was hardly surprising you left the band?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Scott Rosenfeld called me in response to a month old ad I had in a local music paper and told him I was unavailable at the time. After leaving Amra, I called Scott back a month or later to see if they were still looking for a singer. I jammed with them and joined a couple of days later. It's no secret that there were personality conflicts with too many chiefs not enough indians. That was 3 decades ago. I've moved on!!!! [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Given the difficulties they seem to have with vocalists would you ever entertain rejoining them?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]NOT![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Do you think that if you'd stayed with them they'd have been as big as they got to (with Belladona)?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nobody knows what would’ve happened even if they think they do. In 1984 the band was on the rise and had everything possible going for it. They would NOT! have played rap-metal if I were in the band at that time. I would NOT! have let that happen to METAL FANS!!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When you left why didn't you put a band together straight away (kinda like Dave Mustaine did with Megadeth)...?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You mean, why didn’t I jump on the bandwagon?! I moved out west and started my own band. Artistically, I already wrote 'Fistful of Metal' and 'Armed and Dangerous', had a worldwide release and toured it, which helped to put Anthrax on the map. Time to move on! Giddyup![/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Can you give us an impression of what the NYC metal scene was like at the time you were in it ?
I was a part of the NYC punk scene in the late 1970’s when I was still a teenager in my band The Newrace. We played CBGB’s, MAX’s Kansas City, Great Gildersleeves and were into Motorhead, Thin Lizzy, AC/DC and great NY bands like RAMONES, KISS, RIOT, Twisted Sister, Mayday, Neon Leon, Johnny Thunders and The Heartbreakers, Niki Buzz and The Bullets, Wayne County and the Electric Chairs. The metal scene in NYC in the early eighties really started in a few places at once: Lamours in Brooklyn, 8th Street in the Village, Bleecker Bobs, St. Marks Place and in the borough's, Long Island and the tri-state area is where it began to emerge.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ok moving onto Deathriders, i've heard it's thrash but is it the thrash I remember from the 80s or something more contemporary cos your website goes to some length (deliberately?) to showcase the talents and backgrounds of your band - not something very common for a new band!
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEATHRIDERS is the evolution of old school Thrash. We’re not gonna stay stagnant and go out and get white high tops, baseball caps and jacket patches, just because other bands are doing it. We do what WE like the most and that's THRASH!!!! I don't have to copy someone else's style cause I am the ORIGINAL DEATHRIDER!!!! I think it’s important for band members to get their recognition. This way the fans can become more familiar with them. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Why did you not opt for a more modern style of metal i.e. melodic death and how do you feel about these new styles compared to metal of our era which was less genred?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When I recorded “Fistful Of Metal”, I brought along a power vocal style with fierce screams which helped innovate and pioneer thrash metal. I am still an old school metal singer with the same raw power. I am not concerned with labeling or categorizing anyone, unless you consider what sounds good or what doesn't. Although, I do like some Death Metal bands because they are technically brilliant, to me the Cookie Monster still sounds like Sesame Street. Thrash Metal is what inspires me and is what the fans want to hear. I am still “Metal Thrashing Mad”!!!![/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Is Deathriders a full time commitment for you and if so how do you see the band progressing given there are a lot more bands out there today than there were in the 80s?
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DEATHRIDERS is the number #1 priority. DEATHRIDERS has progressed greatly over the last 5 years touring Mexico, Sweden, US, Japan and Germany twice in 2009 at Rocktower Festival, Nightmare Over St. Pauli Festival and Headbangers Open Air!!!! We’ve played about 25 concerts this year including 2 with Michael Angelo Batio and will be playing with him again in 2010. I’ve been writing and recording with the band and with one of the top guitarists in Sweden: Jonas Hornqvist. We have been busy and are looking forward to more touring and recording.. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Finally, growing up through the thrash era here I always got the impression that it was kind've looked down upon in the wider metal circles (and some people seemed to be happy when it died) so how do you think you'll be received 2nd time around?
Thrash Metal never died and it never will!!!! I've been playing metal and singing in bands since 1978, so this is still the first time around. Until we're DEAD or MOTORHEAD, which is the title of a new song I wrote.
Keep the Metal Strong!!!!
You can check us out at www.reverbnation.com/deathriders
[/FONT]