Because I'm lazy . . . . . . . . . . my own Ludicra thread.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
Ludicra 'Another Great Love Song' kicks some serious dick! Did somebody give this a bad review??? This shit crushes Hammers of Misfortune (just my opinion). This is easily one of the best BM releases of the year. This is also one of those release that will continue to grow on me.

I think J. would eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Does anybody else like/hate this???

Nate The Great said:
This shit crushes Hammers of Misfortune (just my opinion)

I just wanted to chime in on this note and say that Slough Feg FUCKING CRUSHES Hammers of Misfortune, largely due to Scalzi's voice sounding better on Slough Feg cds. I like both HoM cds, but not nearly as much as good ole' Slough Feg.

Which HoM member(s) is/are in Ludicra?

I've only heard that one sample I posted in our Ludicra thread. It wasn't bad. I think most people (including myself) settled for giving it a 6 or 7/10 after a couple of listens.

On principle alone, I cannot accept that Ludicra could be better than HoM since it goes against my DNA, but sure, I'd be willing to check it out. Send me a CD-R or something beeyoitch!

Cool! I just mentioned it in another thread. Hey Doomciman, if you've managed to get this Ludicra, add that in. Shit you never know how cool this is, and Nate knows his stuff (when it aint shit).

Also, I need to rip you the Brocas and Road to send over with your shirt. I'll do it this weekend when I get back from Chicago.

yeah, it would be cool to get the new one just because, you know, top 10 lists and all that....

I'm actually down to 9 'certains' on my top 10 so I'm holding out for that special '1'.

The new Ludicra can be had for cheap at www.half.com, or if you're real cheap, I'll send you a CDR. HOWEVER, it should be known the liner notes are very cool, and a purchase would be ver much worth it for a number of people on this board. I seriously give it a 9/10. It is DEFINITELY NOT a 6 or 7/10. It is way above average. Show me your top 10 list, and I'll show you which 8 or 9 this should rank higher than. Actually . . . I don't know if I will have had this one long enough to make it a serious top 10 contender. It just wouldn't be fair. I'll have to see how many listens I get in before the end of the year. Unearthly Trance 'In The Red' is another excellent release that might not get enough listens to make the list.

You know, I once tracked down an out of print album by a band called "Osgood Slaughter" that features John Cobbet and Chewy on drums. I did this because I am a big Cobbet fanboy, but hell, everyone knows that.

So yes, along with this schoolgirl obsession and your recommendation, I shall buy it. I don't think you've ever let me down when you've given me a 'personal' recommendation, so it's as good as bought.

I may buy it from the label direct though, just to support them. Half.com is only worth it if I'm looking for something old and skanky.

:kickass:

EDIT: OK just bought this from Alternative Tentacles.

I'm listening to this again right now, and I must say this is easily the most progressive and innovative black metal album of the year. I haven't heard the new Enslaved, though. I'm thinking fans of newer Enslaved would love the tits off of Ludicra.

Nate The Great said:
I'm listening to this again right now, and I must say this is easily the most progressive and innovative black metal album of the year.
"progressive" + "black metal" = JayKeeley shoots self in the bollocks.

Although I doubt if it's prog-black like that, right? What you're really saying is that it's 'Cobbet heavy metal' infused together with 'conventional black metal', all wrapped in an avant-garde cloak. :tickled:

Now I just need to wait for it to show up! I ordered from Alternative Tentacles, goat knows how long they'll take, but I think it's too late to add this to my top 10 now anyway (if it is indeed as excellent as you say).

J. said:
i saw this album in the store today. t was too expensive, though; $12.99
J - this band includes Cobbet, somebody from Impaled, and then the chick(s) from Amber Asylum. You've heard AA, right? What were they like out of interest (I think they're on Neurot).

i've read some descriptions of this band, and they do sound interesting. i think i will buy something from them, after I get Solstafir.

Nate The Great said:
I seriously give it a 9/10. It is DEFINITELY NOT a 6 or 7/10. It is way above average. Show me your top 10 list, and I'll show you which 8 or 9 this should rank higher than. Actually . . . I don't know if I will have had this one long enough to make it a serious top 10 contender.
So this ended up at #18 in your list? Where would it be today?

I finally got round to listening to this, and it's pretty good -- Ive only heard it once so it's hard to judge. To me it's like taking all the 'black metal' elements of "The Bastard" and making an entire album out of it. Along with all guitars, I guess Cobbet must write the melody lines in some of those clean vocals as well, because those harmonies are similar too how Tanaka might have sung them once upon a time.

This is very much like a "prog-heavy metal meets black metal" album (obviously). I really don't know how many riffs Cobbet could have up his sleeve. Along with HoM, Slough Feg, and Ludicra, he lashes out these metal riffs like there's no tomorrow.

I've been listening to the new Enslaved and Frantic Bleep a lot, but Ludicra is an album that I will definitely continue to listen to for a long time. The first few listens only reveal the great songs and riffs, but eventually the CD starts to really take on an identity of its own as a whole unit. Did that make since?