Recommendation: LUDICRA - Fex Urbis Lex Orbis

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
I hadn't really considered LUDICRA as a reco, thinking they were such an obvious choice, but I sense they might deserve a little more exposure. I'm also reasonably confident in this band appealing to most RC folks. In fact, I'll put money on it.

Firstly, LUDICRA hail from San Francisco, and unless you've been living under a rock, the scene out west is on fucking steroids. The band is made up of an assortment of musicians, all of which emerge from their own respective underground movement via the likes of IMPALED, AMBER ASYLUM, and HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE.

For those familiar with the HAMMERS, (haha if not just castrate yourself immediately) you'll recognize John Cobbett's signature riffs throughout. As you've gathered, the sound is very unique to him, and why people still compare HAMMERS to SLOUGH FEG is beyond me. Other than once sharing a vocalist, the two bands sound nothing alike, but I digress..... LUDICRA, on the other hand, have significantly more in common with HAMMERS, particularly in song structures and compositions.

Aquarius Records describe LUDICRA as a "crustier, filthier, bleak, black metallized version of HAMMERS" and they're probably not wrong. Metal archives describes their lyrical themes by "despair, meds, hopelessness, city life" and that's pretty accurate too. No vikings or satanic worship around these neck of the woods. This is urban black metal.

I choose this release because (a) it's their latest, (b) possibly their best, and (c) I had it in my top 10 list of '06 so I'm re-validating my choice. It's a 5 song, 39 minute album, and I'm offering what I consider to be one of the BEST SONGS OF '06, "Only a Moment".

coverfexurbislexorbis.jpg

Only a Moment

:worship:

Oh yeah, it's two vocalists fronting the band, both of which are chicks.

I thought it was okay the first time, but the second time it sounded much better. Specially parts in the middle where the riffs become hypnotic. Perhaps it's worth getting the album to hear how progresses to and after this song.

dunno. that song didn't do much for me. doesnt have the feel i like. that whole bay area scene is not for me.

i like my black metal spiritual, emotional.

"urban black metal" is a good description, though.

I didn't even notice you had posted this till a while after I had said in the one thread in the main the thing I said... so I'll shorten what I said in that thread because I am too lazy to copy it, UM is being a slow cunt, and such:

This album rules.

I thought it was okay the first time, but the second time it sounded much better. Specially parts in the middle where the riffs become hypnotic.

Yes, agreed tenfold. LUDICRA is something that got better with each listen. It's pretty gritty and it takes a few spins to appreciate.

Let's dissect this song:

0:00 - 0:36: Cobbet signature riff, this could easily have fallen off The August Engine recording sessions :worship:
0:37 - 1:18: This is where the urban black metal reference comes into play :headbang:
1:19 - 3:19: SEE, THIS IS PURE OLD SCHOOL HEAVY METAL WORSHIP, love those dual guitar harmonies and headbanging tempo. And it keeps going with the harmonies ever changing, those tremelo picked notes rule :kickass:
3:20 - 5:23: This slowed down, clean female vs grim vocal part is very much a testament to the SF /west coast scene in general. Case in point, this section wouldn't be out of place in a WOLVES IN THE THRONE ROOM song :heh:
5:24 - 8:30: Again, this is HAMMERS all the way, including lead melody harmonized with piano played over ascending chord structure. Truly excellent stuff, at least from an orchestration perspective :worship: :headbang: :kickass:

No pro-tools, no digital overdubs, all analog recording plugged directly into tube amps. The guitar tone couldn't be any warmer (for the style of music they're playing)

I didn't post right away because I bought this album the week it came out... thumbs up, mate. Not sure I like over the previous release, but still stellar work.

From 3:20 on, the song is indeed flat out amazing. The first 3:20 bored me to tears, it was so downright generic. However, everyone's favorite part was my favorite as well. The metamorphisis was absolutely phenominal - Hammers of Atmosphere.

More songs like the last five minutes of this one and I'm pretty sure I'll say HoA rules.

Thumbs way up.

Jason

Huh, go figure. So inadvertently, people have picked up on a different song segment I had imagined which would truly sell the song, but that's cool.

I actually thought the transition from the 1:19 riff to the 3:20 section (all combined) would be the winner.

I'll upload some more Ludicra tracks which probably even out the balance some. I know I was being tight by only offering one sample, so I shall amend my ways. Watch this space.

I'm too late and the ysi is gone, but since I'm going through these, I'll comment that I listened to "Hollow Psalms" a long time ago and was severely disappointed. "Non-special black metal" was what I wrote in my "Stuff I've heard and deleted" spreadsheet. I'd be curious to check out this new one though, if you decide to upload more from it.

Neil

I can re-upload (or I think this particular song is on their myspace if you just want a taste).

I can assure you that from what I've heard, Ludicra is a band that gets better with each release. (Meaning the debut you heard may not be the best way to gauge them today).