Beer thread (inspired by Strong Bad cartoon)

Ok, now I'm really sorry about the Finntroll pictures lol.

I didn't know there was a beer called the end of the world. I gotta try that.

I'm not real picky and like to try new beers all the time, so I can't think of particular beers that are absolute tops in my book. Mostly, I dig the hoppy pale ales- most of the microbrewed ones are decent. Sierra Nevada, Oregon, Red Hook, and local ones.

For a cheap mainstream beer, I like Michelob or Mich Light.
Always dig the UK ales and porters/stouts like Sam Smith, Young's, Fuller, Hobgoblin, etc. Don't like German & Dutch beers a whole lot- the wheat beers tend to make me nauseous, and stuff like Grolsch/Heineken almost always seems skunky to me. I know a lot of people love them, though, so I get flak for that all the time.

Milwaukee's Lakefront Brewery - most anything they do I like, including Fuel Cafe (coffee flavored), Cream City Pale Ale, Riverstein malted Pale Ale, Pumpin lager, Oktoberfest lager- I just seem to like everything they do.

For cheap mainstream beer, I like the Yuengling beers the best. They're actually good. Their Black and Tan and Porters are great and the Lager is probably the standard beer that people drink around these parts. As for really cheap beer, PBR's probably my favorite. It's not great but beats the hell out of anything comparably priced.

Fin Du Monde is a golden ale from Canada. It's on the pricy side of things but it's well worth it.

Yeah, PBR is classic around here too. Although they have Old Style, which is Wisconsin stuff, so that's the classic Chicago beer. Do you get Iron City from Pittsburgh out there? Not great, but i think it's like an institution in Pitt.

I gotta look for the fin du monde.

Hey Chupe666 -

If you like hoppy pale ales, you ought to check out the brutally hoppy variations on Stone Pale Ale at www.stonebrew.com. I'm not sure if you can get 'em at all on the east coast, but it's worth trying. Their Arrogant Bastard Ale is absolutely violently hoppy and just awesome.

Stone is the best damn microbrew on the planet.

I don't especially like beer, but I have been known to drink it. When I lived in Philly, I drank a lot of Yuengling (lager and porter, i hate the black and tan) because there was a pub that sold it for $1.20/glass (McGlinchey's). It remains the best of the cheap beers I've had. In New Orleans, I picked up a taste for Abita beers like Turbodog and Purple Haze. I guess Blue Moon is all right for a beer; Sam Adams stuff if you're just having one; Coors Light I like because it tastes like water (yum!) not beer; Fin du Monde is awesome because it's like NINE PERCENT ALCOHOL!

Ah, well, if I'm drinking at all, I'd much rather have hard likker.

And I detest MGD.

I drink much Leinenkugel's Creamy Dark. I also drink Miller Lite. I also drink Milwaukee's Best. I've also been known to drink Michelob Light. Sprecher is a good beer. Nut Brown Ale from the Angelic Brewing Company in Madison is really good, but you can only get it there (and drink it there I might add). New Glarus Brewing Co. has some good beers to. I'm partial to their red beer. I don't like Guinness.

Originally posted by Nagle
http://homestarrunner.com/sbemail39.html

What are your favorite beers?

Here's a partial list of mine:

Westvleteren 12
La Fin Du Monde
Belzebuth
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Old Peculiar

Excellent taste. Mine:

Almost any beer brewed by Unibroue (including La Fin Du Monde)
Lindemann's Kriek
Mackeson (and that Young's too!)
Bridgeport India Pale Ale
Pyramid Apricot Ale
Duvel
Pilsner Urquell
Spaten Pils
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Anchor Steam & Anchor Liberty Ale
Samuel Smiths (anything but especially the Nut Brown)

mike

Originally posted by ProgWest
Hey Chupe666 -

If you like hoppy pale ales, you ought to check out the brutally hoppy variations on Stone Pale Ale at www.stonebrew.com. I'm not sure if you can get 'em at all on the east coast, but it's worth trying. Their Arrogant Bastard Ale is absolutely violently hoppy and just awesome.
Shit, I'll have to look into that- I'm not real sure we can get that here in Chicago, but it's possible. I've gotten CA stuff like Anderson Valley (the ones with the bear with the antlers?) and Anchor, but those may be bigger than Stone. Kind of hard to get all the microbrews- like I REALLY want to try Alaskan Brewing Co stuff, but I don't think I could get any without ordering it via mail directly from them. Arrogant Bastard Ale is an amazing name tho lol. Thanks for the tip man! Probably the most hoppy beer I've had is the Alpha King from Three FLoyd's Brewing (http://www.threefloyds.com) - named for the alpha acids created by the hops! Awesome beer, but it's brewed in Indiana, and you might not be able to get it out there.

Originally posted by Nagle
Fin Du Monde is a golden ale from Canada. It's on the pricy side of things but it's well worth it.

I'd also mention that's a Belgian style ale like all of the Unibroue beers. That brewery is amazing. They do a great mulled cherry ale as well. Unfortunately all Belgian beer including the stylists are way too expensive, but if they were cheap, many of us wouldn't leave the house again.

m