circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Before the Dawn – 4:17 am
Locomotive Music – 2004
By Jason Jordan

417am.gif

There’s seldom anything so pleasant as discovering a notable, young band whose sure to have a lot of years (and albums) left in their systems, despite their line-up difficulties. Before the Dawn noticeably rip-off their influences, but they successfully mix slight inclinations of Soilwork with newer Katatonia. The result is a dynamic, bleak album that capitalizes on its relinquishment of sadness.

“Heaven,” as the first track from the poorly-named 4:17 am (a continuation from the last track of their earlier My Darkness) is a cordial way to meet the band. Here you’ll encounter all substances the group inserts into their music such as both clean and distorted vocals, keyboards, and all other typical instruments. “Seed” would reside comfortably on Viva Emptiness, except for the fact that it’s slightly too heavy to be included. However, four minutes is less succinct than I would’ve liked it to have been; it would do Before the Dawn good to eradicate some of the monotony that pervades this album. “Dreamer” utilizes depressive tools, like solemn keyboards and unenergetic riffage. More comparisons to Katatonia will ensue upon hearing “Fade Away.” “My Room” is very dark in nature, while most of the other tunes are as well. Little to none of the tracks conveys a sense of hope, but opt for iterating hopelessness. Fine by me.

What Before the Dawn have done is duplicated the Katatonia mold, which I can’t stress enough. Hopefully, the quintet will move up the ladder from the excursion known as 4:17 am. In short, I can’t wait to see what this group crafts next.

7.5/10

Official Before the Dawn website
Official Locomotive Music website