Beggininng Guitarist Needs Songs To Play

The Muffin Man

New Metal Member
May 29, 2007
Hi Ive been playing for 7 months now and I'm really proud of how much I have progressed I am now at par or better than most of my guitaring buddies who have been playing guitar for longer than me. Ive managed this by learning a song that is allways more technical than the last one I learnt. Yet now I'm stuck on a song to play so I'm hoping you could suggest a couple of songs for me. I have given a list of songs i have learnt to show what sort of skill im playing at to help you and I'm hoping to play some sort of Death Metal.

Killswitch Engage -Take This Oatch (a couple of months ago)
Slipknot- Left Behind
Lamb of God- Laid to Rest
Lamb of God - Now youve got something to die for
Daath- Ovum (just finished learning this)

Try "Zombie Ritual" by Death...nice generally simple Death metal, the intro riff might be a little difficult at first but you'll get it, and it's fun to play (it is also in D, so you know the tuning).

Learn all Metallica songs starting from the Kill Em All album to the Master of Puppets album.. in that order: KEA, RTL then MOP... you'll progress nicely that way I think... chords, speed, technique etc...

Try "Zombie Ritual" by Death...nice generally simple Death metal, the intro riff might be a little difficult at first but you'll get it, and it's fun to play (it is also in D, so you know the tuning).

I would go with something a little more complex by these guys, as it will teach you the mechanics. Rather ignore those shouting for you to learn somethng by their favorite band. But whatever you learn make sure you stay challenged. :)