Beginner electronic drum kit?

TRA

Just another nobody
Feb 17, 2009
Do any of you have experience with the inexpensive Simmons and Alesis electronic drum kits? I'm not looking to become a beast drummer, but I'm hitting an early mid-life crisis and want to learn how to play the drums. I have a very small space and noise restrictions. An acoustic kit is out of the question.

That said...what do you recommend for the bare minimum in electronic drum kits? I can always expand later if I stick with it.

EDIT: I just want to add that I own Superior Drummer so the drum module doesn't need to have great stock sounds as I'll likely not use them.

I guess the cheaper roland v drums aren't too bad.

How about noise restriction regarding the floor? If you life in a flat and you've got someone living down yours, that might be a problem since the sound traveling through the
ground/walls can piss of the neigbours downstairs.

The room that the kit would go in is above my garage so noise from an e-kit isn't a concern. An acoustic kit would get the cops here within minutes.

I was in the same boat - wanted an ok set for messing around and for triggering and capturing MIDI.

When I put mine together, I had problems with some Pintech stuff mis-triggering (they might be better these days, though, since this was years ago).
The cheaper Roland Pads (PD-n) were/are pretty accurate and always trigger fine.

Cheapest would be something like this to get you going, then fill out the rest if you need more pads/cymbals.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-TD7-Electronic-Drum-Set-/370980210236#viTabs_0

I have a similar set, but I put it together bit by bit when stuff came up for cheap on eBay.
I ended up with:
TD-7 brain
1 PD-9 dual trigger pad (snare)
4 PD-7 dual trigger pads (1 for hats, 3 for toms)
2 PD-5 single trigger pads (one for tom, one for kick)
FD-7 Hat Pedal
2 Visulite cymbals - 1 with choke strip, 1 w/out
Gibralter curved rack.
Generic double kick pedal
Roc-n-Soc throne

I think it ended up about $700 or so for all those pieces.

Note: non-mesh pads are pretty hard and don't have a lot of "give" so sticks bounce quite a bit ...and the absorption of the drum-hit vibrations are your hands.
Meaning: if you're a hard hitter and play for a couple of hours, your hands will get sore.
You can lessen that by covering the pad surface with felt or those 12"x12"x1/16" colored foam sheets you'd find in craft stores.

I made the mistake of going down the Drum-Kat route, please do not make that same mistake.