Free Drum Samples Shootout!

Dans

Jul 3, 2014
Hey guys, thought it'd be fun mixing some free and complete drum sample kits out there. So I tried to make each kit sound as good to my ears as possible, I'm by no means an expert at mixing drums though. But listen for yourself!

The order of each kit in the clip:

1. Ivy Audio Scott Drums
2. Analogue Drums Big Mono Kit
3. Strike Sound Home Kit
4. Joey Ford Metal Drum Kit
5. MT Power Drum Kit 2

The beat was taken out of EZD Metal Machine, only slightly tweaked to fit the velocity layers of each kit.
Since making them to fit modern metal was the purpose, some really shines while some don't.

Scott Drums from Ivy Audio is actually very well recorded and had a ton of velocity layers, however I had the hardest time trying to make them sound metal. Big Mono and Strike Sound Kit both sound really versatile, with Big Mono having more sustain to each drum. Both of them don't have quite enough velocity layers to sound real though imo. Joey F Metal Kit of course sound pretty heavy right on, though it is also the most fake-sounding one out of the bunch. MT Power Drum Kit has good amount of velocity layers, I love the snare sound but pretty much hate everything else from the kit.

Just my two cents. Hope you guys dig these drum kits. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for showing this. I wasn't aware of existence of some kits here. What reverb did you use?

I use the Large Wooden Room IR from STN True M7 impulse pack for room on some of the dryer sounding kits, Verbiage from Stillwell on snares if needed.