Beginner questions about VST instruments...

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Alright guys, sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I haven't done much experimenting with this sort of stuff. Basically, I want to be able to compose orchestral music on my computer. I found this sample set:

Buy EastWest Symphonic Orchestra Silver Edition online at Musician's Friend

...which looks/sounds awesome and seems to be really reasonably priced, but I would have no idea how to use it. Is that a plugin that I would use in like Cubase? And how would I actually program the parts? Something like program each instrument on it's own MIDI track or something, set the output to the EastWest Symphonic plugin and then I would be good to go or what? Sorry again if this is a really really n00b question, haha but I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. What software is compatible with this thing? I wanted to pick up ProTools M-Powered but I don't know if I could use this sample set with it? What would you guys recommend as a multitracking program that I could do all of my regular audio recording and waveform editing in as well as all this MIDI/VST plugin orchestra stuff? Thanks alot guys!

spot oin
well thats how it works in pro tools
It runs its own version of Kontakt
so program your midi and set the out of the midi track to SO

Basically how I use E/Q Symphonic Orchestra Gold is just like you said. You open up the VST and you can choose up to 8 seperate insturments. You then make a MIDI track and just program each insturment seperately like you said. In Gold everything isn't on a seperate track in you DAW though. Instead you have like Input 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8 and you can't split them up. I think in Platinum that you can though. Not the biggest deal since you're usually not going to be doing a whole hell of a lot of mixing to an orchestra. It would work great for your purposes and it's not that hard to use. I don't know exactly how Silver is but I am guessing pretty much the same. I know a few people have it on here so maybe they'll chime in.

Awesome thanks guys! I realized I can use VST instruments with Fruityloops, which is what I've been using to do my drums for ages anyways, so I'm gonna track down a copy of this Symphonic Orchestra Silver edition and give it a whirl. Thanks again!