VST programs

Mystique1721

bass solo, take one
Jul 31, 2006
Southern Cali
Hey guys,

I am a bit new to using VSTs. Currently I have the East West Quantum Leap Symphonic Orchestra Gold and I'm trying to use it in Reaper. I'm still trying to figure out how it all works, but I'm curious as to what VST programs you guys use. Like for this East West thing, I don't have any piano VSTs or acoustic guitar or anything like that. Any suggestions for good piano sounds?
And any tips on how to get started with using VSTs in your DAW? I can't seem to find the location for the EWQLSOG VSTs so I can tell Reaper where to find them...
Whatever advice you guys can give would be much appreciated. Thanks!

vsts are probably in program files/vst plugins/ but i mean you installed it so you should know

best freeware piano vsti is likely Joe's Jazz Piano

yeah, that's the exact path I'm telling Reaper to look in, and yet it's not giving me East West as an option! so aggravating. I know for sure it is there.

I'll check out Joe's Jazz Piano, thanks.

once i tried using TS' Secret in reaper, couldn't find it, and it turned out it just gave it a different name or something; try running every vsti that reaper lists as an option, one of them might be it. ¯\(º o)/¯

It's only showing me all the Rea-- VSTs and the JS: VSTs
=/

and there's a shit load of these, haha. I'm not about to try every single one...

1. Use the search feature of whatever system you are using (look for a .dll file).
2. Uninstall the orchestra, install it again and tell it exactly where you want to vst dll to go.
3. Use just 1 folder (with subfolders) for all your vsts eg: c:\vstplugins\

^that's exactly what I've done.

the problem I'm having now is that Joe's Jazz Piano is playing my midi file in a different key than I wrote it in, and it's clashing with my other instruments........what the effffffff. this recording shit is so frustrating =/

1. Use the search feature of whatever system you are using (look for a .dll file).
2. Uninstall the orchestra, install it again and tell it exactly where you want to vst dll to go.
3. Use just 1 folder (with subfolders) for all your vsts eg: c:vstplugins

yup,

I use C:\VST as my plugin folder,
Its a simple matter to specify the folder when installing a Plugin.

Of course, for the OP, you will need to set Reapers plugin path to whatever folder you use for your plugins. so, in Reaper, go to Preferences and click "VST" on the left of the preferences panel, and enter the path you are using for your VST plugins

the problem I'm having now is that Joe's Jazz Piano is playing my midi file in a different key than I wrote it in, and it's clashing with my other instruments........what the effffffff. this recording shit is so frustrating =/

Do you mean +12 or -12 semitones ?

What i would do is simply: right click on the midi item / item properties / pitch adjust (semitones)

Do you mean +12 or -12 semitones ?

What i would do is simply: right click on the midi item / item properties / pitch adjust (semitones)

thanks! that worked. what's weird is that it was playing it -11 semitones. maybe cuz I wrote this song in D standard tuning in guitar pro. but anyway, thanks for the help.

Also, that Maestro Grand demo sounds amazing. Downloading now. But I don't get what that VSTSynthFont thing does.

sorry for the double post.

can anyone recommend good VSTs and/or soundfonts for the following instruments:
-bass
-cello
-violin

I'm learning how to use this SynthFont program now, seems pretty cool.

haha, I deleted East West. I would only use like 3 or 4 VSTs from it and it was a huge file/program. Also wasn't working well with Reaper. So I'm just going to search for individual VSTs now.

and by bass, I mean bass guitar :)

can anyone recommend good VSTs and/or soundfonts for the following instruments:

-cello
-violin

I am afraid that if you don't want to pay serious kilobucks, or use pirated software (and that we don't accept here), then you won't find any better than the ones in the VST orchestra you just deleted... :)

Any suggestions for good piano sounds?

I really like TruePianos

It came with Cakewalk Sonar and I took advantage of an upgrade offer to get the complete package. It contains four different modules Sapphire, Diamond, Emerald, and Amber, each representing a different type of piano and each with distinct properties. It really is a great piano package if you are lookinf for some quality piano sounds.

You can download a demo and try it out here. They also have some good audio demos up here including a great one titled "The Sentinel" by Kerry Livgren or Kansas fame.

Great VSTi piano - my favorite.