Beginning guitar

McCherry

New Metal Member
Jun 28, 2011
Hey everyone, I'm new to the guitar and I was wondering what to do to improve. I've got lessons for a year but then I quit due to school. If anyone has any tips on where to start again do tell me.
Thanks! :p

Preferably metal, I can play the half of Nightmare by Avenged Sevenfold, I know some chords but that's it really...

Hello McCherry,

I realize this thread is a bit old but in case you're still around..

I recommend 3 things that I guarantee will get you off to a good start.

1. Get a metronome and USE IT. Metronomes are often neglected but they are incredibly important in learning to play things quickly and cleanly, plus they make it easier to start playing with a band since you'll be used to sticking to a beat.

2. Consistency over quantity!!! If you sit down with a metronome for a mere 20 minutes per day to practice, I guarantee you that you'll be better than most random people in just a few short months.. But only if you remember to...

3. Put QUALITY over quantity as well. If you sit around playing sweet home alabama for 12 hours per day, you still will never improve, whereas practicing exercises for 20 minutes every day with consistency will yield unbelievable results. Try finding some exercises and build a little folder full of them. Pick a couple every day and get to work!

If you do those three things, I guarantee results. In addition to those three most important things, I'd also strongly recommend GOAL ORIENTED practice. Make a log of your progress. Try checking your speed and rating how clean you play and then check again every couple weeks so that you can see results. There is nothing more encouraging than to monitor your progress then check and see you really are getting better after all.

I really only started guitar last summer when I was 18 and had a brief dive into for a couple months. I practiced a bit but not consistently until this summer and now I'm practicing consistently. I always knew a lot about guitar from obsessive research into all things guitar, but I never was into it all the way as far as actually playing for some reason. I think I was worried I'd never be good since my favorite guitarists are all guitar gods and shredders. But last summer I started and then late this summer my heart and mind have just clicked into guitar and I practice everyday, and I'm astounded at the progress I make even in as short a time as a week. You can make that kind of progress too if you consistently put in good quality practice. Even shredding is honestly not the tough thing everyone makes it out to be... If I continue at the rate I'm going, I'll be shredding my arse off by christmas - that's with only 6 months of consistent practice!!!

Good luck and warm regards! ;)

No matter how much metal you like, I really suggest learning lots of different scales, and experimenting to blues/jazz and the like. I don't use much blues/jazz in my music, as I play in a death metal band, but it's always a nice flavor to add to your lead playing.

On top of that, work on your improv over backing tracks (you will find LOADS on the internet and on Youtube for free)...and work on rhythm, so practice on a metronome!

Hope this helps somewhat!

One thing I find that helps is setting goals for yourself...for example you see a REALLY NICE GUITAR that you want make it a goal that after you can play a certain song or reach the goal you go and buy the guitar...but don't make it like if I can play a simple chord I can go and buy a 15,000$ guitar...and spice it up maybe an effects pedal or an amp...it all depends on what you want and how much you work on your goals

much luck to you...the guitar is not an easy instrument to play but it's a load of fun once you get comfortable

These guys have given good advice, but just to add a small, but meaningful statement.

Practice as much as you can and never stop learning.