Behemoth - Zos Kia Cultus

Son of Odin

New Metal Member
May 29, 2005
Leeds, UK
www.myspace.com
The first thing that comes to mind when I think of Behemoth is musicianship. There is no doubt about it, Nergal & co. are some of the best there is when it comes to metal. The songwriting is original, brutal, imaginative and fucking unreal.

Having owned the "Demigod" album for several months, I thought it was time to pick up some more - and with Christmas round the corner, I asked my brother for "Zos Kia Cultus". I had already heard the track "As Above, So Below" before getting the album, and liked it. Alot.

The opening track, "Horns ov Baphomet" clearly shows straight off the amount this band has progressed from being just another black metal act to one of the most innovative groups in metal, cross breeding black metal and death metal to bring about their own incredibly unique sound. The song offers speed, great riffs and some quality headbanging moments, summing up already the album as a whole, pretty much.

Throughout the album you can see why the band are so respected in the metal community. Since the "Satanica" album, their own style has developed even further, and "Zos Kia Cultus" delivers amazing music throughout. Every track has something special about it.. be it a great riff, a total speedfest or a slow neck-breaking phrase. Although the album does not quite match the standards of "Demigod", it is still an amazing metal release from start to finish, and delivers the goods.. brutally. 9/10

Highlights: Horns ov Baphomet, As Above So Below, The Harlet Ov The Saints, Zos Kia Cultus

One last thing. For all you black metallers out there who claim Behemoth have "sold out".. FUCK YOU! If you think progressing a genre from the same cliched scene is selling out, you are either fucking stupid or just jumping on the black metal bandwagon. Don't get me wrong, I like black metal alot, but I wouldn't say Behemoth are exactly top of the pop charts, would you? So fuck off!

Youre right!!!! Behemoth is a great metal band. In poland many people say that Nergal is a poser but i think these peoples are stupid. But its verry funny when you listen to older cds like "Grom". They were playing very different music...

I like Behemoth but I wouldn't say they have an original style - they sound much like Zyklon to me recently. And they DID totally rip off Be All, End All. That was just ridiculous.
Decent band though.

Nile and Behemoth are good friends, and it can be assumed they will draw inspiration from each other.. but I don't think Demigod is too "Nile". Nergal, Karl & Dallas are all great composers but IMO they all write very unique material, and that's what makes Nile and Behemoth such amazing bands at the forefront of the scene. There are some elements of Nile in Behemoth songs and riffs but that ain't even a bad thing. Nile are the best dm band ever!

The elements I was talking about are things like the tonality of a certain riff or maybe the rhythms in a song. Behemoth certainly don't sound like Nile. And whoever said the production on Demigod was awful is a fool.

Son of Odin said:
The elements I was talking about are things like the tonality of a certain riff or maybe the rhythms in a song. Behemoth certainly don't sound like Nile. And whoever said the production on Demigod was awful is a fool.

That would be me. Sorry, it's a wall of noise but I don't think things are clear enough, a lot fo the time there's just TOO MUCH noise.
And I don't see ANY comparison with Nile - Behemoth's music is structured a lot simpler IMO.

The production of Demigod was great.

And by the way, Karl Sanders actually does one of the leads on "Xul."

Nergal sounds NOTHING like Karl on Demigod! What the fuck? He double (maybe even triple) tracked the vocals I would assume to get a brutal as fuck sound, and has been doing that since about the Satanica album. Nergal's vocals are very unique no matter what you say.

Behemoth is good, I have Thelema 6, Zos Kia Cultus, and Demi God. I got them all at the same time, when just last year I got into this band. I know alot of people that think this band is overrated, but I like them alot. I will finally get to see them when they tour w/ Morbid Angel in just months.

Saying Nergal and Karl sound the same is like saying that every death metal vocalist sounds the same. Its simply not true.