"Behind the suit and tie" metal recording industry movie

thefyn

Jun 3, 2006
I did a search and nothing came up. Lock if old news! I found it on the Thrash Unlimited message board:

A six minute trailer from the upcoming heavy metal recording industry documentary
"Behind The Suit And Tie" can be viewed below.

The six minute clip features segments from Eddie Trunk (VHI Classic, Q104.3, Sirius XM) ,Carl Severson (Ferret Music), Paul Conroy (Ferret Music), David Ellefson (Megadeth), Brian Slagel (Metal Blade Records), Al Dawson (Earache Records) to discuss piracy , corruption issues and the future of a record label.

Through a series of interviews with players from both indie and major labels ,Behind The Suit And Tie will also showcase the truth of how the music industry is being affected by the downward spiral of hard CD sales and new up-and-coming artists must learn to adjust to the changing times with today's major transition. according to a press release.

The ninety minute DVD will contain insight from:

Brian Slagel (Metal Blade Records)
Doug Keogh (Roadrunner Records)
Carl Severson (Ferret Music)
Paul Conroy (Ferret Music)
Ray Harkins (Century Media Records)
Al Dawson (Earache Records)
Missi Callazzo (MegaForce Records)
Alan Becker (RED Distribution)
Burt Goldstein (Big Daddy Distribution)
Eddie Trunk (VHI Classic, Q104.3, Sirius XM)
Pat Egan (Re Records)
Ralph Graupner (Indevent Music)
Gary Susalis (Music Choice)
Ged Cook (Demolition Records)
Bryan Mechutan (Demolition Records)
Lee Barrett (Ascendance Records)
Adam Watson (Plastic Head Distribution)
David Ellefson (MEGADETH)
Erik Rogers (Dangerous New Machine)
Tairrie B Murphy,Mick Murphy (MY RUIN)
Rob "Blasko" Nicholson (Mercenary Management),(OZZY OSBOURNE)
Rayny Forster (Moshpit Tragedy Records)

Commented creator/producer Robert Bolger Jr.: Unlike most music documentaries 'Behind the suit and tie' will spend more time with the people behind the labels rather than the more musician-focused approach of most music documentaries.

The DVD package is expected to be released some time in June on a label TBA. after four years in the making
For more information, visit http://www.myspace.com/behindthesuitandtie.

l_b1e741eaf29c48df83d6787ff7f57bc8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks like a really interesting video to check out once it is released.

I find it really interesting that the guys of Ferret are saying that they don't mind piracy even though their CD sales are down. They sounded more excited about merch and ticket sales. Not sure if I am in the minority here, but I usually tend like bands for their music, not merchandise :lol:

I find it really interesting that the guys of Ferret are saying that they don't mind piracy even though their CD sales are down. They sounded more excited about merch and ticket sales. Not sure if I am in the minority here, but I usually tend like bands for their music, not merchandise :lol:

And I wonder what cut of tickets and merch bands have compared to CDs?

holy shit, brian slagel is kyle gass.

am I bad for kinda liking the song "money shot" at the end?

And that is why Mr. Slagel I import most of my CDs from Europe -- because they get all the cool extras such as bonus tracks, DVDs, better packaging etc...

This DVD has been in the making for 3-4 years, right?

Funny enough, a press release today says both of those Ferret guys are leaving Ferret to start a new record label.

http://www.lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=14044

well I am kind annoyed of the things david elefson is discussing.I mean I really agree about the things he says but I think he is not the guy that should talk about it.First of all ,he says that mp3 are bad because the band paid to produce the albums so the listeners should also pay to buy it.Sounds fair right?And it really is.But dont forget david was part of Megadeth.One of the biggest bands ever.I really dont think Megadeth ever paid for a record they made.Probably only for their first promo.I mean fuck man,Megadeth are famous drug users,including Ellefson,and if you check out the Behind the scenes DVD they released,you can see that they spent all the money they got(from labels so to produce the albums,from concerts,even from selling band equipment) for Dope and Drugs generally.Is he kiddings us?He was spenting money to get high.Not to produce a record.This was happening for years and years and years.And another guy on the youtube vid above said that there were many bands back then than where overpriced and that they generally were taking more money than they should.Well guess what Megadeth was one of these bands.

I mean ok its really really really a fair point to say that mp3 kills the artist ,according exactly to the words david said,but he is not the one to point that out.One can also mention Lars Ulrich and his napster think,that is also complete shit,but at least Lars is not a famous HEROIN USER like David and Megadeth,and especially he is not famous of spenting all of his band money on drugs.

I mean I know many of you guys in here have bands and I know that you all try hard ,cause nowdays its really difficult to be a big band and enjoy what Megadeth enjoyed back then.I am also in this trip.I spent 1000nds of Euros for my band.So I think that WE should speak, and not the super rock -heroin-star.

PS I am a big megadeth fan but ok I also have a band and I know what goes on with the music industry.

Sorry for the big post and I am not trying to be offensive or anything ,just expressing my opinion

well I am kind annoyed of the things david elefson is discussing.I mean I really agree about the things he says but I think he is not the guy that should talk about it.First of all ,he says that mp3 are bad because the band paid to produce the albums so the listeners should also pay to buy it.Sounds fair right?And it really is.But dont forget david was part of Megadeth.One of the biggest bands ever.I really dont think Megadeth ever paid for a record they made.Probably only for their first promo.I mean fuck man,Megadeth are famous drug users,including Ellefson,and if you check out the Behind the scenes DVD they released,you can see that they spent all the money they got(from labels so to produce the albums,from concerts,even from selling band equipment) for Dope and Drugs generally.Is he kiddings us?He was spenting money to get high.Not to produce a record.This was happening for years and years and years.And another guy on the youtube vid above said that there were many bands back then than where overpriced and that they generally were taking more money than they should.Well guess what Megadeth was one of these bands.

I mean ok its really really really a fair point to say that mp3 kills the artist ,according exactly to the words david said,but he is not the one to point that out.One can also mention Lars Ulrich and his napster think,that is also complete shit,but at least Lars is not a famous HEROIN USER like David and Megadeth,and especially he is not famous of spenting all of his band money on drugs.

I mean I know many of you guys in here have bands and I know that you all try hard ,cause nowdays its really difficult to be a big band and enjoy what Megadeth enjoyed back then.I am also in this trip.I spent 1000nds of Euros for my band.So I think that WE should speak, and not the super rock -heroin-star.

PS I am a big megadeth fan but ok I also have a band and I know what goes on with the music industry.

Sorry for the big post and I am not trying to be offensive or anything ,just expressing my opinion

All bands with a record contract before the mp3 boom, paid for their own albums with their share of the record sales. If the sales were good, they recouped, even if they were drug addicts. Other bands are still in debt to record labels/publishing. I know I am. So Dave has a point, heroin addict or not. Some bands got really happy when they got their advance check and thought that "fuck it, we're rich", but got really disappointed when they didn't get any royalties from the record sales.

Maybe James can help me fill in the rest.

I don't think however much junk Mr. Ellefson may have shot up back in the day- or any similar "rock star" indulgences on the part of the band invalidate his take (or any of the rest of their takes) on the state of the industry twenty years after the fact.
shrug.gif

And neither does Mr. Ulrich's- not exactly the pinnacle of sobriety himself- reaction to Napster, etc. a decade ago, for that matter. People's perspectives change with time and information. Regardless of whether you or I or anyone else would agree with them.

Honestly, I'm rather curious about the perspectives of people who achieved success in past eras like those two, even if only for being a differently-informed voice on the subject.

For profits to return, scarcity has to return. Economics 101. Whoever figures out how to generate scarcity, wins.

excellent point!

which got me thinking. the band can be responsible for this as well, by making a product that stands out from everything else out there. we're flooded with bands all doing generally the same thing. eventually, there has to be one band or one style that will change the music scene and generate more interest in the average listener then what is currently happening.

I hope this will not turn into a pro/con pirating thread again...but you're wrong!
of course a big band like megaseth still pays for the production with their share of royalties...so the prodcution costs are just part of the recoupable advance.
and whether or not they're drug addicts doesn't really matter...it's THEIR decision what they're shelling out their money for...or would you say "it's ok to steal from person a, cause person a is a huge soccer fan and spends all his money for soccer related stuff...soccer is stupid, so it's ok to take his money he's spend it for that stupid shit anyway"...who are you to decide what they spend their money for? is it ok to steal from a person just because you think they'd spend their money for shit anyway?
the band is paying for the production to make that money....thats a fact.

aparently you don't
please learn about how the record industry works before you embarass yourself with a post like that