Behringer Mixers and Microphones

Mayh

Who's that Melinda person
Oct 3, 2001
I've been thinking of buying a mixer and perhaps a microphone, just one to start with. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with this Behringer stuff, people keep telling me it's crap but damnit it's got such a fine price tag. The Behringer ub1202 mixer costs about 100 at music123 and the B-1 microphone along those lines...

I just got the UB 802 mixer and I personally think it is great for the uses I will apply it to. I don't know about their mics, though. The Behringer products might not be rugged enough for a travelling band, but for a home studio or practice equipment, where you can leave most of your stuff in one place and plugged in most of the time, I think it is well worth the money. Some others may disagree. The key - take care of your stuff. I have a cover over my mixer to keep out the dust and stuff from pets. Read the instructions repeatedly before use, so you know what you are doing, even if you think you know what you are doing already. Good Luck.

I got the UB 802 as well, and I think it's excellent. Some folks will talk shite about Behringer products, saying they're unreliable and sound like crap, etc etc. Whatever. This mixer works perfectly for me and the price was right so I'm happy.

Thanks! I was just thinking about using it for some home recording so it won't be seeing the harshness of the road anytime soon :)

i've got a behringer compressor for my pa rig and it works fine.the stuff is cheap,but i dont see any problem with the quality.thomanns in germany have bundles of the stuff at great prices all the time.i'm tempted to buy more of it.

yeh i always thought behringer was cheap cause 1) its a german brand and 2) it competes with shit like marshalls which everyone buys because they are brought up with the idea that marshall is the best.

personally i like the behringer guitar cab better(i got the 400 watt one) than a marshall. and i ahve a perfect comparison

i have a marshall jcm 900 Lead - 1960 slant cab and it is a great cab, im not denying marshall their credit, but i find that no matter what head i put into it, it all comes out sounding too much like a marshall. which can be good if you like that sound, but personally i dont really like that sound at all.

when i first got the behringer, i didnt think it would be better at all, but the guy in the store said that the only cab hed get other than a marshall was a behringer, so i ordered one and when i got it, i fell in love.

just from looking at it i could tell it would give my amp a fuller sound. rather than having the speakers all pointing the same way, the cabinet has 2 bottom 12's that point out front, and then the top 2 go left and right, and are slanted upwards. tell me thats not fucking awesome ha. anyway i plugged in my head, and drooled. suddenly my head started sounding like it never had sounded before.

moral of the story, behringer kicks ass and i like the cabs they make better than marshall. never judge a company by the price.

I totally agree on the Behringer cabs... both me and the other guitarist in my band use the BG-412 H cabs (slanted but without the angled speakers) and they totally rock.
Especially considering the fact that here in Germany you can get three of them for the price of one Marshall 1960... ;)

Well, Germany makes some damn fine cars, so, why not other stuff. I'll probably buy more of their stuff in the future. Like I said on another thread, I do a lot of research on the web. Musiciansfriend.com has ratings on most all of their products that really helps you go in the right direction, even if you don't buy from them.

The shite people talk about the quality of behringer products usually hinges on something like...'there's a horrible buzzing from this mixer' well, you're probably not using a noise filtering surge protector like you should - I use a behringer mixer in my home studio and it works great - hiiiigh headroom, no noise, tight construction. If you're the type who lugs stuff around everywhere and needs everything made out of steel then yeah you might find it a bit light, but that seems silly to me. People are very product biased and feel they must hate all non-mackie boards but Behringer really is, especially for the price just an excellent product. Both the B-1 and B-2 mics are great, especially for the home recording guy on a budget, there's just no comparison. I was worried by some of the negative comments about behringer products when I considered my purchase, but once I had everything setup I realized that people really are just nitpicky bastards...'the sliders on the board are a bit too sensitive/not quite sensitive enough, I have to move it a fraction more/less than I want!' :Smug: If you're looking for the best sound to cost ratio - Behringer i sthe way to go - if money is no object, obviously you can buy neumann mics and $10,000 mixing boards.

Behringer products are generally made with the cheapest components and are priced for the very-budged minded.

I've never owned any, but I've had experience with their mixers, their microphones, and some of their rack mounted gear, and if you can afford a better brand, go for it.

Personally, I hate Mackie boards too. :lol:

[edit] I have to admit I'm kind of a gear whore though... lol :dopey:

Well, unless you have a ton of money to just blow - and I mean alot, you really can't argue against behringer because you can spend more money on mid-level names and have poorer products very easily. I've also heard people do horrible things with fantastic equipment (and I paid for those services as well) so don't forget that how you do what you're trying to do is just as important as the grade of the products you buy. I've heard people do really great recordings with less than what I have right now, and in the end that's all that matters. Ingenuity works ;P.

If I allowed myself to be a gear whore i'd be utterly broke :lol: ...so I'm a deal whore instead...until I break into my calling and rake in some dough, of course. Then i'll have the full on home studio with sound proofing, isolation, special wiring, a meticulously miced drumset to make neal peart feel envious and all the guitar shite etc etc...and taht'll happen...right! :p

Well thanks for all the the comments... @ Wandrail, you seem to know you´re way around this stuff so do the Behringer mixers have decent (low noise I guess) preamps? And what type of Behringer do you have?