AlexStomp

Feb 7, 2002
DC area
Visit site
anthrax_frank_1.jpg
FRANK BELLO of ANTHRAX

THE BIRCH HILL
OLD BRIDGE, NJ 01.02.02

For millions of metalheads the word anthrax illicits a completely different response than that of the general populace. Originally formed in 1981, Anthrax is one of a handful of American metal bands to have not only survived the 80’s but thrived in the 90’s and, as evidenced by the show we saw Saturday, they’re still kicking ass in 2002.

Giving credit where credit is due, these guys were pioneers and innovators. Picking up where the English metal invasion left off, they are as responsible for the advent of speed and thrash metal as Metallica or Megadeth ever were. In addition (for better or worse) they helped pave the way for metal/rap fusion.

We sat down for a few minutes with bass player Frank Bello before their January 2nd show at The Birch Hill.

SHOW & TELL: The next album is scheduled for a March release. I found 2 working titles for it, but no definitive title for it. Have you guys settled on an actual title for it?

FRANK: The new working title is “Taking the Music Back”, that’s just the working title right now. We’re literally working on that right now. Just see what the vibe is like when we hear all the songs together. Right now that’s what we’re working with.

S&T: What can fan’s expect in on this one in terms?

FRANK: Riffs. I always say with Anthrax when there’s some good arguing going on in the music process or in the writing process it’s going to be a heavy record, an angry record. And that’s what happened with this. Some good stuff, a lot of anger in this. We got screwed over a few million times in this band, especially this last couple of years thing going so now we’re ready with some big choruses and just a lot of riffs. Some things are really fun to play, like really hard to play; it’s challenging so I think people who have been Anthrax fans for years will not expect this, which is fun.

S&T: Do you think you guys get enough credit for sort of paving the way for the metal rap fusion thing or is that something you are actually trying to distance yourself from?

FRANK: You know what, it’s so, the whole rap thing is so played out right now, we did it, it was done then, all these kids made a lot of money off of it. It’s boring, I can’t listen to it, it’s stagnant. Um, nobody creates anything new, there’s no creativity going on now. So, for me, when I hear all this rap stuff, even the newer bands and I could mention like 4 of them right now, I just laugh at them cause they’re getting over it’s just more of the same. There’s no creativity anymore. It’s just try different shit.

It’s just boring. As far as us taking credit I couldn’t give a shit. Ya know what, we just do what we always did and I don’t need credit and that’s the bottom line, I don’t need credit. Who cares. We do what we do, we’re innovators and whatever, we sound like we have big heads - we don’t. The bottom line is we put out good music. That’’s all we do.

We asked Frank 12 Questions... When he finished he picked a mini etch-a-sketch from the Show and Tell prize bag and played with it for the next few minutes. Somewhere along the way he remembered “Y’know, I was never really good at this.” Of course that didn’t stop him from playing with it. After all, there’s an etch-a-sketch artist in all of us.

Click here to read 12 Questions with Frankie Bello.