circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Beloved (US) – The Running EP
Solid State Records – TND97265 – 2004
By Jason Jordan

beloved-the_1501868.jpg

It’s fascinating to think about where a band’s material rests. Most songs, I’ll venture to say, do make it to the listener’s ears, whereas few sit patiently in a vault until they’re released later on a B-sides record, repackaged as a “new” album, or are thrust onto a huge, retrospective compilation. Along the same lines, The Running EP was originally recorded way back in January of 2001, and served as a demo. Three years later, Solid State Records decided to tinker with it and regurgitate it as a lengthy teaser. Though it can’t compete with the likes of Failure On, Beloved (US)’s first iteration is a mildly impressive, thirty-minute experimentation.

Even though songs such as “Kiss It Goodbye” and “The Blue Period” are a tad formulaic, they’re still good romps. The clean vox are too pubescent for my liking; it turns out that the vocalist would improve significantly by the time Failure On hit shelves. The screams are done well, and Beloved (US)’s music can definitely be shoved into the screamo category, which directly complements artists like Underoath, Dead Poetic, and uncountable others. “Going Through the Motions” is a nice composition as we get a clean sound that conveys more adeptness than you’d think a young band could possess. Mentioned earlier, though, is the observation that the non-gruff vocals need work. Thankfully, Moore (guitar, vocals) would mature splendidly by the time the limelight shone. “Before There Was You, There Was Everything,” “The Aftermath,” and the closer “Into Your Arms” are all likeable opuses, and The Running EP – although not essential – is heartwarming as a whole.

I like this band and their heartfelt applications. Unfortunately, Beloved (US) broke up recently after crafting only two records. It’s too bad, because Failure On showed an enormous amount of progression from The Running EP, and I’m confident that the third outing would’ve transcended both aforementioned releases.

7.5/10

Official Beloved (US) website
Official Solid State Records website