circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Chariot – Unsung EP
Solid State Records – TND42481 – December 6th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

SSRCD42481.jpg

It’s the one that weighs about ten pounds and requires a back-brace. Yes, my copy of Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead, and Nothing is Bleeding is housed within a massive CD binder that contains letters A through H. Since the Unsung EP boasts re-recorded versions of four songs from their twenty-eight minute debut, I figured it’d be good to re-familiarize myself with ‘em. It was all for naught in the end, though, cause the new renditions vary greatly. And, despite my previous fawning over all things The Chariot, it’s not like you can actually remember their songs.

The initiated are cognizant of the fact that Josh Scogin (vocals) used to call Norma Jean his home, and ironically the Unsung EP proves that Scogin is another step closer to bridging the gap between his former and current band. Not only does this EP stride towards the production values found on O God, the Aftermath, but the song titles utilize matching formulas. Whereas Norma Jean merged two words together to construct ditties such as “Bayonetwork,” “Dilemmachine,” and “Pretendeavor,” The Chariot did the same with celebrity names to form ditties like “Yanni Depp,” “Phil Cosby,” and “Vin Affleck.” Now I’m going to generalize. The six tunes are all good, but you’ll have a helluva time remembering them once they depart. “Yanni Depp,” a notable opener, is ho-hum until the 1:45 minute mark, and projects metalcore during its shining moments. However, perhaps the most uncharacteristic about this whole EP is the usage of lap steel and banjo on selected tracks. And just like Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead, and Nothing is Bleeding, the Unsung EP harbors DVD content. Filmed in Atlanta in September 2005, the twenty-minute set suffers from lack of charisma and stage presence. As far as the camera’s unsteadiness is concerned, how does that guy with Parkinson’s disease keep getting so much work?

I know it may seem like I’m railing on The Chariot, but I’m simply voicing a few menial complaints. While their releases are solid, they expire fleetingly and are difficult to recall. Solid State connoisseurs should unearth Norma Jean’s O God, the Aftermath and August Burns Red’s Thrill Seeker prior to this, as the aforementioned are more impressive and have staying power.

7/10

Official The Chariot Website
Official Solid State Records Website

Lee_B said:
What's with all these groups using existing band names, only adding a "The" at the beginning?

With this in mind, I shall be recording the new The Metallica demo soon...

:lol:

My label, The Elitist Records, will be releasing that for sure. :D