The Chariot - Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead and...

circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
The Chariot – Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead and Nothing is Bleeding
Solid State Records – November 16th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

TheChariot.jpg

There are certain qualities about The Chariot that make them much more likeable than your average, run-of-the-mill band. Like, for instance, the proverbial sticker that graces the front cover states, “The debut metal album featuring former Norma Jean front man & circus performer, Josh Scogin. For fans of Converge, Every Time I Die & Ashlee Simpson.” Humor aside, the guys also explain that: “no computers were used in the manipulating of our music,” which is pretty cool to witness nowadays.

“Before There was Atlanta, There was Douglasville” begins with plenty of reverb before it shifts into chaotic hardcore a la Norma Jean, obviously. As you might expect from the latter quotation in the first paragraph, the album – as a whole – definitely has a raw sound. But, the group is seemingly talented. “Someday, in the Event That Mankind Actually Figures Out What It is That This World Revolves Around, Thousands of People are Going to be Shocked and Perplexed to Find Out That It was Not Them. Sometimes, This Includes Me” commences frantically as is traditional for the genre; it’s a succinct representation of what The Chariot essentially offers an audience. “Dialogue with a Question Mark” features plenty of good ol’ reverb, which can totally pierce your hearing. That’s my major qualm with the record: you can’t keep the volume on high because the amount of reverb will render you deaf by the close. Interestingly enough, “Die Interviewer (I Am Only Speaking in German)” utilizes a banjo at its beginning, but delves right into madness later. Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead and Nothing is Bleeding is all over the place musically, and is as dense as could be. “And Then, Came Then” is a venture into death metal with Scogin’s rendition of applicable vocalizations, but then resumes its hardcore roots. Scogin interlaces “La la la’s” through the first section of the song. “The Company, the Comfort, the Grave” settles into a coherent model a little less than halfway through, while the riffs form a climactic aura. “The Bullet Never Lies, and Time will Prove All Things (an Allegory of Unfaithful Jerusalem),” “Yellow Dress: Locked Knees,” “If Wishes were Horses, More Beggars Would Ride Them,” and “Good Night My Lady, and a Forever Farewell” are all exemplifications of infuriated frenzy.

The Chariot’s music is great to absorb. Sure, there are noticeable con’s included within the album (amount of reverb, raw production, only thirty minutes in length), but the furious quintet have crafted an album that will boggle your mind. And, the inclusion of a fifteen minute DVD, which is riddled with hilarious antics, is an added bonus. If you only purchase one album from Solid State Records this year, make it Underoath’s They’re Only Chasing Safety; but, Everything is Alive, Everything is Breathing, Nothing is Dead and Nothing is Bleeding shouldn’t fall far behind.

8/10

Official The Chariot website
Official Solid State Records website

Post_Scriptum said:
Now let's just hope that the new Norma Jean cd will be as good as this one.

Yeah, I know. You can listen to a new Norma Jean song on the latest This is Solid State compilation (Vol. 5).