circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Peccatum – The Moribund People EP
The End Records – TE060 – July 12th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

cover-moribund.gif

Lost in Reverie was a mixed bag, in my opinion, though I loved the glints of black metal that appeared here and there. Many of the characteristics, that riddle their previous full-lengths, remain steadfast on Peccatum’s latest teaser known as The Moribund People EP. Naturally – citing my feelings toward the duo’s recent work – I’m halfhearted about this new EP.

Those who stood in line for any of Peccatum’s prior incarnations will welcome this record with open arms. That much is obvious. However, if you’re not so inclined to listen to Ihsahn and Ihriel over other dark bands, then The Moribund People EP will most assuredly put you out. As far as composure is concerned, the group have given us three songs to digest: two are shiny, new opuses while the closer is a cover of Bathory’s “For All Those Who Died.” Plus, a video – Peccatum’s first – is tacked onto the overall package. People looking for a musical description of the band should be pacified upon hearing that Ihsahn and co. play a dark brand of avant-garde rock with heavy reliance on synthesizers. Ihriel thrusts out clean, female vocals while Ihsahn usually sticks to his raspy, black metal delivery, though he does indeed step outside of his forte occasionally. Whether it’s good or bad, “The Moribund People” and “A Penny’s Worth of Heart” won’t upend Peccatum aficionados, and “For All Those Who Died” will receive the respect it deserves as it’s a faithful-yet-experimental rendition. Moreover, the black/white video is quite whimsical, just like the artwork, but I expected nothing less.

Though I can’t say I’m too crazy about The Moribund People EP or Peccatum, there are several attractive traits that both of the aforementioned possess. The former is an EP, which is reflected in the price, and does house intriguing elements. Would I buy this at the end of the day? My words don't seem to say so, but I probably would. It is Ihsahn after all.

7.5/10

Official Peccatum Website
Official The End Records Website

my only thought is that it is not long enough, very very good record listened to it over and over again and can't wait for another full album