circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Benea Reach – Monument Bineothan
Candlelight Records – CDL273 – March 6th, 2007
By Jason Jordan

beneareachmb.jpg

Many fans were chagrined upon learning of the departure of Extol’s longtime contributor Christer Espevoll (guitars). I have to admit that I hated to see him go, too. Thankfully however, he’s resurfaced in Benea Reach – a band that naturally has a lot in common with their neighbors listed above. Swedish influence was not, ahem, out of reach either as there’s frequent Meshuggah and occasional Burstisms, plus an intermittent likeness to the Netherlands’s Textures. ‘Tis unfortunate, at any rate, that Monument Bineothan isn’t up to par with efforts by the groups I’ve mentioned.

For better or worse, Ilkka often clones Peter Espevoll’s strained, thrashy screams to the point where the two vocalists are nearly indistinguishable from one another. While ‘Ground Slayer’ has Paralysis vibes coming and going, other songs like ‘Inheritor’ and ‘Purge’ parallel Extol circa Synergy and, to a lesser extent, The Blueprint Dives. While neo-thrash has seeped its way into BR, songs such as ‘Transmitter’ and ‘Torch’ recall Meshuggah through overall tones and the dizzying rhythms. I suppose the main detractor is that – even though there’s no real clunker on Monument Bineothan – Benea Reach sound too much like those I’ve pointed out.

It is good to have Christer Espevoll back in the songwriting saddle, so to speak, but let’s hope the BR collective can come up with a record superior to Monument Bineothan on the next go-around. The only way I’d recommend this is if you’re pining for more latter-period Extol. As it stands, this album fails to make a name for itself.

Official Benea Reach Website
Official Candlelight Records Website