Old Fart
Jul 24, 2001
The Woodlands
Lord Wind - Atlantean Monument
No Colours Records - NC116 - October 30, 2006
By Wayward_Son

lord_wind.jpg

“What is best in life?”
"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." -Conan The Barbarian

Taking cues from medieval folk, Dead Can Dance, and a healthy dose of the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack, Rob Darken’s Lord Wind mightily returns to the battlefields once again.

It’s been quite some time since we last heard from Lord Wind with the average and fairly pedestrian, Rites of the Valkyries. With that release, along with 2000’s Heralds of Fight, it seemed Darken had a destination in mind, but no direction. Five years, 4 Graveland full lengths, and one Infernum album later, Rob Darken’s Lord Wind has discovered its anthem of war.

Like the previous two, Atlantean Monument forgoes the toad-like vocals and guitar-based songs found on the classic debut, Forgotten Songs. Consisting entirely of synthesized instruments, with male and female choirs, one must be willing to give Lord Wind time to work within the shallow confines of give-it-to-me-now greedy metal “fans”. The songs move and weave in and out of triumphant bombast to eerie quiet, with a definite Eastern slant. Comparisons can easily be made to Summoning’s more synth-based albums, as well as certain moments on Dead Can Dance’s Aion, where ethnic sounds permeate the compositions such as ‘The Temple of Harmony’ and ‘Secret Key to Hidden Wisdom’. With the latter, Lord Wind has found a banner to fight under. What must be mentioned is the inherent presence of the Conan the Barbarian soundtrack spirit. Epic without the cheese.

Lets be honest, Faithful Reader, this is not music that will instantly make an impression upon your psyche. It must be felt and cherished, however clichéd that may sound. Atlantean Monument is not for you to enjoy, but for you to immerse yourself. If you remain unwilling, Lord Wind will pass you by.

Easily Lord Wind’s finest release since Forgotten Songs, it is yet another fine testament of Rob Darken’s abilities as a musician and composer. Let us hope the upcoming Graveland album is as impressive.

“Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom, so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to hell with you.”

Official Lord Wind Website
Official No Colours Records Website