__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Tom Carter – Monument
Kranky – krank070 – 2004
By Russell Garwood

tomcarter.jpg

If you have read my recent review of Joy Shapes, you will realise I wasn’t overly fond of Charalambides’ ultra-deconstructed latest effort. This release, from the aforementioned group’s Tom Carter, provides much of the same, except in a far more palatable form (to my taste). Gone is the multi-instrumentalist approach, and instead we have a single solo lap steel guitar, improvised for 50 minutes. Again, some may be dubious of the musical prowess behind such a release, but Monument is successful where Joy Shapes failed, for me – in creating atmosphere. This release is in fact a reissue of an out of print CD-R (limited to 55 copies) on the band’s own label.

Is it worth getting, I hear you ask. Well, that would depend on your taste. The tracks here consist, for the most part, of little other than drones and a healthy dose of silence. E-bows and reverb are both used in the second, 47 minute long track, but other than this “Monument 2” is just one man and a guitar improvising. The drones ebb and flow, silence punctuates the other-worldly smooth changes in note, and much of the listening time is spent wondering whether you actually heard anything at all. As such this is good background “music”, and can provide interesting late-night, getting-lost-in listening. Moments of more substance are a pleasant change from the otherwise barely tangible tones. Monument is very much an acquired taste – many will find this highly experimental approach a chore to listen to, but fans of such things are likely enjoy Tom Carter’s efforts very much.

7/10

Official Kranky website
Official Tom Carter label page