__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Strategy – Drumsolo’s Delight
Kranky – krank066 – April 26th 2004
By Russell Garwood

strategy.jpg

Another release from Kranky arrives in my inbox, and another high quality, experimental record is added to my collection; in a diverse roster this release seems right at home. Strategy is a one man project from Paul Dickow, keyboard player for art-funk/dance/post rock collective Fontanelle and multiple instrumentalist in electronica group Nudge. Drumsolo’s Delight comprises seven songs of stripped-down electronica. Best described as ambient, some sections remind me of Lifeforms era Future Sound Of London, especially when pulsating tones morph into laid-back rhythms, and more structured passages break down again into atmospheric drones. Occasional sound effects are work well, while the trance-inducing keyboard tones are occasionally joined by more distinct tunes. Mellow sounds, soft noise, prominent bass, and entirely fitting, restrained drums, all make for a very relaxing listen. Occasional effects-laden vocals are far back in the mix, and very effective under the layers of synths.

Standouts include “Super Shewolf Inna City”, the most FSOL reminiscent song, a more beat–driven title track and the tranquil, borderless effort “Final Super Zen”. Throughout the release a good balance is maintained between accessible, strongly rhythmic songs and the less concrete pieces. Much emphasis is placed on atmosphere, rather than construction, and as such Drumsolo’s Delight is a great success. For fans of ambient and laid-back electronica Strategy’s music comes highly recommended, as it manages the tricky act of being minimalistic yet still substantial.

Official Kranky Website