__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Charalambides – Joy Shapes
Kranky – krank068 – May 10th 2004
By Russell Garwood

charalambides.gif

Unknown Spin was Charalambide’s last Kranky release. Stripped-down (or rather, never fully constructed) improvisations of voice, steel guitar and sparse electrics proved a tad too minimalistic for my taste. The trio comprising Tom Carter, Christina Carter, and Heather Leigh Murray are now back with their new album Joy Shapes, to prove that even with preparation and studio-time their sound is similarly, well, vacuous. And I don’t mean that in a bad way it’s just… there’s not a great deal there.

Much like Khanate in the extreme metal world, the three play tunes so heavily deconstructed that they almost defy categorisation as music. Imagine a group playing only chimes, bells and steel/electric/acoustic guitars tuning up, and a vocalist singing tones over the top. That is pretty much what this epic, 75 minute release sounds like. For the most part the tracks consist of drones, slow plucking, gentle tuned percussion, and a myriad of disharmonies. Occasionally - in more structured moments - parallels are drawn with folk, and the sheer trippiness can suggest a psych label. At other times the instrumentation and feel suggests ethnic/world leanings, but again, these are mere whispers in a largely noise/tone based sound. Listening can be reminiscent of numerous post-rock acts, but where these reward your patience with an often-catchy, and very melodic section, with Charalambide’s you could be waiting for a very long time. But then, I’m missing the point here. While I (for the most part) don’t see the beauty in this sound, others may do so with ease. For lovers of true avant-garde this should make a highly rewarding listen. Those who want a bit more substance are best advised to avoid Joy Shapes, for while very interesting, the moments of tangible music can be few and far between.

5/10

Official Kranky website
Charalambides label page