Best 6 String Guitar For +/-$450?

Robert W

May 13, 2009
Ok, I got about $450 spend on a new guitar and could certainly benefit from some from board member's advice.

Shape isn't hugely important, but these things are,

1) TOM bridge. No tremelos or hardtails.

2) At least 1 humbucker w/ a tone control.

Ideally, I'm looking to snag something used, probably an SG, but I'm not set on one.

One company whose guitars I'm not at all familiar with is Jackson. So any info on the quality control on those in my general price range would be great.

Also, the guitar is going to be mainly used for rhythm (mostly slow, doomy stuff) and will be tuned to A standard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If you buy new guitar and want to tune A standart... why you need 6 stringed? 7 stringed will have tighter into tuning.

If you buy new guitar and want to tune A standart... why you need 6 stringed? 7 stringed will have tighter into tuning.

Tried 7s and 8s, but they weren't for me.

Got a question for you Schecter aficionados, what's the 6 string, passive pup'd quality equivalent they make to a Korean made Hellraiser these days?

Wow, that's actually a pretty great deal. Didn't realize the Hellraisers had gone down so much in price!

Was gonna suggest a C1 Classic, if you can find one, by far my favorite Schecter, but for $400, you can't go wrong with a new Hellraiser.

Are they still made in Korea though?

Sort of narrowed it down to two guitars, am ESP ec-1000 and a Schecter Solo 6. Which one do you think is a better bang for the buck?

Just before I was going to pull the pin on either an ec-1000 or Solo 6, I checked to see if there were any ongoing auctions for a couple of vintage Ibbys I'm always in the market for. And guess what? I scored a really nice stock MIJ/1980 manufactured Ibanez Destroyer. Here's a pic from the auction,

IbbyDestroyer.jpg

Suffice to say I can not wait to get a hold of this thing.