Best all-around drummer (thanx FluffyDonkey)

LuminousAether said:
Actually, Jan Axel Von Blomberg owns Danny Carey in every single way. He has shown himself to be one of the most prolific and varied drummers around, easily. From a more industrial and rhythmic style on The Kovenant to a jazzier, more laid back style on Winds, to even a pure black metal style on Mayhem... he's done it all.

Not even close.

And before you get on your underground high horse (oxymorontastic!), I own practically everything Hellhammer has played on. Yes there's so much more to him than Mayhem, for example on "The Sham Mirrors" he does some excellent offbeat hihat work etc but all I can assume from your post is that you don't play the drums.

Danny's work is far more varied in terms of polyrhythms, dynamics, odd times, groove and it's just a lot more complex. Hellhammer may possibly be faster (although I wouldn't bet on it) but Danny is better allround. Plus no bloody triggers so his drums actually sound like drums!

As for the best drummer... well in terms of technique it'll be someone like Vinnie Colauita, Virgil Donati, Dennis Chambers etc

For metal it's Flo.

Jondur said:
Hellhammer may possibly be faster (although I wouldn't bet on it)
Don't get me wrong, I agree with some of your post, espcially Dennis Chambers. But that right there was just funny.:p

The best all-round drummer for skill and technique is Dave Weckl. the best metal drummer for speed is Trym, creativity Hellhammer for "The Sham Mirrors". Just listen to "Kinetic" or "Collapse Generation" for proof of that. Trym is very original in Emperor and is skillful in time changes (see interlude in "The Tongue Of Fire" for evidence). Zyklon is just obscenely fast but it takes a lot to do that. And he doesn't use triggers! Great guy..........
the Decapitated guy is good for things like double-bass grooves ("Spheres Of Madness") and supplements the music sufficiently. All very talented men, hope this helps clear things up for people.

blood of millions massacred said:
The best all-round drummer for skill and technique is Dave Weckl. the best metal drummer for speed is Trym, creativity Hellhammer for "The Sham Mirrors". Just listen to "Kinetic" or "Collapse Generation" for proof of that. Trym is very original in Emperor and is skillful in time changes (see interlude in "The Tongue Of Fire" for evidence). Zyklon is just obscenely fast but it takes a lot to do that. And he doesn't use triggers! Great guy..........
the Decapitated guy is good for things like double-bass grooves ("Spheres Of Madness") and supplements the music sufficiently. All very talented men, hope this helps clear things up for people.
Kinetic and Collapse generation are just fast, with small variation's, don't get me wrong i like them alot but hardly ground breaking in terms of creativity or variation.

Dennis Chambers! Although he mostly plays jazz nowadays, as far as I know, he also played funk with Parliament/Funkadelic/P-Funk All-Stars/George Clinton back in the late 70's up to the mid 80's. On P-Funk All-Stars' "Live at the Beverly Theater in Hollywood" he also plays some double bass-drumming, although it might be single bass-drumming, as he's superfast on his feet as far as I know.
And then also Hellhammer. Although I've only heard him play metal I know he also plays jazz and shit.
But anyway, this is pretty much the same thing as in the "Favorite drummer" threads that has been done several times.

I'm going to have to go with Flo as well. There are a hell of a lot of skilled drummers out there, many of whom have been named already, but dear lord is he good! His talent is truly remarkable, and not just because of the wicked speeds he reaches. He's extremely competent at keeping a tight beat, and shows plenty of variety throughout Cryptopsy's albums. His work on None So Live (including the great solo) more than proves that he can keep it together in a live setting. He even goes faster than on the studio recordings sometimes, which is insane.

DAMN! Only 14! Shit, I will have to check them out. I really like Decapitated, and have followed them for quite a long time. They are an amazing band for being so young, and when they started out (The First Damned material) They were only 15, 12, 15, and 13 o_O. They are fucking excellent, and have matured greatly with their musical abilities. Vitek (dummer) is now about 18, but remains the youngest of Decapitated.

:p