Oldschool...... Metal Church (Drummers pay attention)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I was desperately trying to find something to listen to that would keep my mind off of the new Vanden Plas, so I wouldn't just burn it out and no new releases could do it, so I dug back in my archives and come up with Metal Church's - "Blessing in Disguise." I have always considered it truly one of my fave discs of all-time, but I haven't spun it in a while.
Man did it kick my ass again !! Every fucking song on that release rips. I also stated drummers should check this out. Though Kirk Arrington has always been an above average drummer throughout his career, he opened up a barrel of kick-ass when they recorded this release. This WILL impress proggers. His technical ability is about 8.0 but his style points where he really shows a unique style that is true to only him brings it up to almost a ten.

Bryant

I love Blessing In Disguise. It really is amazing. Everything is perfect on this disc. My favourite Metal Church!!! "No more paradise, no more soothing rain. For all the sacrifice the pain is all the same..."

forgottenglory said:
I love Blessing In Disguise. It really is amazing. Everything is perfect on this disc. My favourite Metal Church!!! "No more paradise, no more soothing rain. For all the sacrifice the pain is all the same..."

Glad I got some replies on this one. I dig pretty much all of the Metal Church before they first split up, but to me, BiD is their masterpiece. You really don't hear any modern metal that has that groove anymore. Probably the closest thing I can think of is Tad Morose (but with a lot more harmony vocals,) but with the Urban split, I don't know what to expect from them now. :erk:

Bryant

Yeah you're right Metal Church have got that groove, that melody that makes the songs stick in your head, start playing air guitar and headbanging:headbang: . Basically their music makes you feel good! A lot of band today are just pure violence and aggression. There's no melodies or what I call soundscape where the music can be fast one minute, mellow the next, powerful again. I also like The Dark. I haven't actually bought any albums by Metal Church after Blessing. Which one album would you recommend me to buy.

I saw them last year and they still had it. Killer riffs and groove!:headbang:

forgottenglory said:
Yeah you're right Metal Church have got that groove, that melody that makes the songs stick in your head, start playing air guitar and headbanging:headbang: . Basically their music makes you feel good! A lot of band today are just pure violence and aggression. There's no melodies or what I call soundscape where the music can be fast one minute, mellow the next, powerful again. I also like The Dark. I haven't actually bought any albums by Metal Church after Blessing. Which one album would you recommend me to buy.

I saw them last year and they still had it. Killer riffs and groove!:headbang:

Both Howe era releases are good after BiD. The titles are "The Human factor" and "Hanging in the Balance." Both are actually more melodic and diverse than BiD but somehow, just a little below the level of excellence. I think MC really hit their perfect sound with BiD, but the others really aren't far off at all. I honestly would pick those up even before most new releases (aside from the Vanden Plas) if you really dig BiD because they are both nine out of ten releases in mty ears and I don't hand that number out frequently. Arrington doesn't put on the drum clinic like on BiD, but the albums are more power metal where BiD is pretty close to thrash really, though still melodic.

Bryant

Thanks for the tip! Will check these out. I see you're also a Vanden Plas fan. Man you've got good taste in music. I'm currently listening to Spirit Of Life from their excellent live CD Spirit of Live.

Have you got the new Vanden Plas album yet?

I have BID on vinyl but haven't played it for years. I put The Human Factor on now and again which I have on tape cassette as I didn't have a CD player back in 1991!! The Final Word and In Harms Way are my stand out tracks, they're all great.

forgottenglory said:
Thanks for the tip! Will check these out. I see you're also a Vanden Plas fan. Man you've got good taste in music. I'm currently listening to Spirit Of Life from their excellent live CD Spirit of Live.

Have you got the new Vanden Plas album yet?

I have a "leaked" version of the Vanden Plas, but I have the real one pre-ordered on Laser's Edge. The American release date is April 25th so I still have two and a half weeks before I can study the cover etc.
Thanks for the kudos on my tastes. I am pretty picky, but I don't stick to any particular sub-genre of metal. There are certain bands that have a groove I like, some simply don't. The bands vary all the way from thrash to prog, even some rock and roll, prog rock etc.
As far as Vanden Plas is concerned, I was lucky enough (rare for Americans as they weren't even distributed here yet) to have discovered them right after "The God Thing" release. I have been a fan for a long time. They keep getting better and better as well. I hope this currnt one is a breakthrough and they make it here to the US on a tour.

Bryant

Soul of Ice said:
Give me the self titled any day!

Metal Church was one of the few bands that were pretty successful with two distinctly different lineups. I do prefer the Howe era, but the first two with Wayne are fantastic as well. If you buy one of their first five discs, you are going to get a high quality disc. They should have been more popular than they were.

Bryant