oldschool thrash.... Metal Church (Mike Howe era)

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Does anyone else here like them ? I've made this post before in the oldschool section, but I think they are more than deserving to be in the general section. I still play some of my classic metal CDs from time to time and the Mike Howe era Metal Church is one that finds a good bit of spins for it's age. I am honestly shocked that they didn't get at least somewhat the acclaim of the bigger thrash bands of the era. "Blessing in Disguise" is still a top five or ten CD of all time to me. I love the following two CDs as well, though the intensity had diminished a bit. Anyone else here dig these guys ?

Bryant

Bryant said:
Does anyone else here like them ? I've made this post before in the oldschool section, but I think they are more than deserving to be in the general section. I still play some of my classic metal CDs from time to time and the Mike Howe era Metal Church is one that finds a good bit of spins for it's age. I am honestly shocked that they didn't get at least somewhat the acclaim of the bigger thrash bands of the era. "Blessing in Disguise" is still a top five or ten CD of all time to me. I love the following two CDs as well, though the intensity had diminished a bit. Anyone else here dig these guys ?

I've only heard their first three albums and the live one from 1999 (actual recording is from 86 or so) and I must say I love this band. The second album, The Dark, was quite average and bland but the self-titled debut and Blessing In Disguise are very kickass! Love the majesty of Gods of Wrath and Anthem to the Estranged as well as the pure power of Battalions (among other songs from the s/t) and Fake Healer.

i would not classify metal church as "thrash metal" , but as pure u.s. power metal .
Blessing In Disguise has some thrash metal elements.
the first 3 Metal Church albums are masterpieces, my favourite is the first one.
too bad all the others are so so so mediocre

I don't consider the first lineup as thrash, but BID sounds like thrash to me. It's not that important though.... I like Human Factor and Hanging in the Balance as well, but they lost a bit of their edge on those CDs. They were still good CDs to me though. Too bad Mike Howe called it quits. I liked his vocals.

Bryant

Bryant said:
I don't consider the first lineup as thrash, but BID sounds like thrash to me. It's not that important though.... I like Human Factor and Hanging in the Balance as well, but they lost a bit of their edge on those CDs. They were still good CDs to me though. Too bad Mike Howe called it quits. I liked his vocals.

Bryant

If you liked his vocals you might wanna check out his pre-Metal Church band Heretic.

MacMoney said:
If you liked his vocals you might wanna check out his pre-Metal Church band Heretic.

Yeah I had "Breaking Point" on CD, but it was involved in an "accident" and got scratched up. I look on E-bay from time to time for it and was outbid for it (I bid $20) the last two times I saw it. : / It's not as good as Metal Church, but it's still a solid CD. "And Kingdoms Fall" is classic Howe at his best.

Bryant

Psychonaut said:
I have the first five of them. Someone played them for me on the schoolbus back in '86 and I loved them. I really should bust them out and listen to them again. It's been a long time.

Do that. I always seem to have more new music than I can absorb, but someone made a post about The Scorpions a few weeks ago and I dusted off "Savage Amusement" and put it in. I bet I listened to it five times straight. Sometimes it's easy to forget how good some of the "old CDs" you have laying around are when you haven't listened to them in a while. I was jamming on that old Scorps stuff. I had forgotten just how bad-ass Jabs is on guitar too....

Bryant

I love Metal Church! I have their first three albums and they're all great. As for what they are, i'd consider them power/thrash, myself. They have a good amount of elements from both genres.

Yes! A thread dedicated to one of my faves! "And Kingdoms Rise" from Heretic is classic, too, by the way!

But Blessing In Disguise is an absolute masterpiece, unlike the piece of shit they titled Masterpeace with Wayne...

I remember seeing a review for BID in People magazine back in the day.. :)

If any here are interested, there's a review of The Dark on our website, just click the Royal Carnage logo below.

Papa Josh said:
Yes! A thread dedicated to one of my faves! "And Kingdoms Rise" from Heretic is classic, too, by the way!

But Blessing In Disguise is an absolute masterpiece, unlike the piece of shit they titled Masterpeace with Wayne...

Happy to see some other fans. One thing the newer metal-heads have that I (and the other old farts here) didn't in the early-mid eighties when I started listening to metal is the enormous back-catalog of metal music. I know I introduced Metal CHurch to a 19 yo guy in Australia from ICQ a couple of years ago and he went absolutely nuts over them.
I'm far from being stuck in the 80's or 90's but it's a luxury to be able to pull out some great classic metal when the new stuff isn't "doing it for me" on any particular day. Metal Church's Howe era seems to find it's way in there more often than most and it still kicks my ass.

Bryant

Bryant said:

Bryant

DUDE I fukin love Metal Church B.I.D Is one of the best albums I have ever heard Mike Howe Has some Amazing Vocals Like Crystal I also own The Dark,Human Factor,And Masterpeace(Which I really like too)

JonnyD said:
DUDE I fukin love Metal Church B.I.D Is one of the best albums I have ever heard Mike Howe Has some Amazing Vocals Like Crystal I also own The Dark,Human Factor,And Masterpeace(Which I really like too)

To me BID stands up to anything Metallica (and I do love pre-Black Metallica) has ever offered. The production could have been better, but that CD still kicks my ass today. Many of the younger metal-heads out there are familiar with old Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and maybe Testament, but I would love to get some of them into BID. That band deserved more acclaim than it received. That CD is good enough despite it's age to still blow some people away with it's quality.

Bryant

I love Metal Curch. They've always been one of my favorite bands. I own all of their albums, plus the Reverend, and Wayne cd's. I've looked all over the place for Heretic cd's but, I could never find them. It's almost too hard to choose a favorite cd by them. Their first 3 albums are absolute masterpieces, imo, I love the Human Factor, but I think my favorite is Hanging in the Balance. I've always thought David Wayne is an outstanding vocalist, but I've always preferred Mike Howe's vocals.

Bryant said:
To me BID stands up to anything Metallica (and I do love pre-Black Metallica) has ever offered. The production could have been better, but that CD still kicks my ass today. Many of the younger metal-heads out there are familiar with old Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth and maybe Testament, but I would love to get some of them into BID. That band deserved more acclaim than it received. That CD is good enough despite it's age to still blow some people away with it's quality.

Bryant
Hell yeah it does dude I just fukin love it Fukin "Badlands" "Anthem of the estranged" "Fake Healer" Just to Name a few Great Record From A great Band!!!!! I myself could prolly be considered a younger fan At 25 But fuck I would give my left Nut to be back in the day When Bands Like Metal Church, Death Angel, Raven Ect were in there Hay day That is th kind of Metal I live and Breath for........Blessing in Disguise Is one of my top 10 albums of all time !!! :D